Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oral history project help... C.O. 551st. BS

<!-- THE POST 32499 --> Hi Guys,
    I have been enlisted by the Wife of Col. Daniel Riva to help in recording his oral history. She has tasked me with formulating questions pertaining to the AAF.
    I know I'm going to ask the standard pre war and training questions and missions that stood out in his mind, German fighter tactics, Flack ect, ect.
    What I'm haveing trouble with is coming up with questions concerning commanding a bomber squadron. That is a whole different level of questions I'm not prepared for.
    You guys have any ideas?
    I've talked to him a few times already and he is very sharp for 89 years old.
    I can tell this is going to be very exciting as he related a couple of stories already and he has rubbed elbows with some pretty noteable figures during WWII, like Gabreski and Zemke. And Walter Beckham was the best man at his wedding for crying out loud!! Also after WWII he went on to fight in the Greek Civil war again a whole new ballgame!
    I really think I have my hands full with this fellow.
    Any help you guys can afford would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Charlie

P.S. found this original painting done during WWII at the 8th AAF museum on my last visit there its about four feet wide by five feet tall. way cool!
    Attached Files

I can just give you a few recomendations from my experience of interviewing vets.
    -Learn a much as you can about the vets units to be able to ask very specific questions (and avoid stupid ones) and bring back memmories that the vet would otherwise not think about. Days when friends were KIA, and similar traumatic events are not easely forgotten, and be used to date an event, etc.
    -When the vet is going ahead with one story, dont interupt him, even if the story doesnt interest you. Stoping him can change the interview from "free" to "directive". The vet might close up and start just answering your questions by "yes" or "no" and not sayin stories any more.
    -Make notes about questions to be asked, so that you can ask them latter, without interupting.
    -Dont ask questions where you are already giving the answer. Remain neutral.
    -When the interview starts, first let the vet freely say everything he remembers. Only start with your questions once he starts running out of stories. Otherwise, if you sart by the questions, he might get in the frame of mind where he is just going to answer questions, but not say anything he is not asked to say.

Good luck

JL
    Last edited by Jean-Loup; 05-14-2007, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X