Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tunic Assistance Needed

Guys,
    It's on to the the next item from the estate I need help dating. Hopefully you guys can provide some information. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The obverse,
    Attached Files
    Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Looks like one ot the collar tags is missing and the other doesn't provide much information.
    Attached Files

Comment

There is a tag in the inside vest pocket that gives a manufacturer.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here's the style of the buttons.
        Attached Files

Comment

The rank chevron.
          Attached Files

Comment

And lastly, a sleeve chevron that I'd like to know what it was for if anyone knows.
            Attached Files

Comment

Larry,

WWI enlisted tunic. The chevron at the top of the sleeve is an honorable discharge chevron. It indicated the wearer was honorably discharged from service. It's a red chevron worn point up in the upper half of the left sleeve.

The lower is an overseas or service stripe. The service stripe is fixed on the lower left forearm. It consists of a "V" and is constructed of gold (France) silver(US) or powder blue (Less than 6 months). Each of the metallic over seas chevrons stands for 6 months.

The tunic appears to be private made. Unusual for an enlisted guy.

Jim

Comment

The tunic is a model/1912 jacket. The 2 rows of stiching 4 inches up from the cuff on the sleeves tells you that. Pettibone was a well known maker of military and fraternal order uniforms and equipment. The buttons are odd in that they are a sew through type rather than having a metal loop on the back. Rather rare I think. They are also made of an ingrediant called vegtable ivory, stained russet brown. It would have been a private purchase uniform. Better quality material and fit. Nice piece even with the moth damage.

Comment

Thanks guys! The family I got this from has been a military family since the Civil War. They are a wearhouse of militaria. Hopefully as time goes by they will trust me with some of their better items.

Comment

Bryan,

Thanks. Good info. And as I was having a brain fart, I couldn't remember "vegetable ivory" and it was driving me nuts.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X