Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's Pickup--Bill Mauldin Cartoon Book

Greetings gents,

I made an interesting find today at our base thrift store. This copy of a collection of Bill Mauldin's cartoons from the Italian campaign was sitting there on a shelf marked $0.25. I have a modern book that contains his cartoons and they are very funny. However, this one seems to be a wartime print from 1945 if I am understanding the printing information correctly. Anyway, I thought I would share it here. If anyone has any more information on this particular edition, please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris
    Attached Files
    Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
    All the best,
    Chris

Inside.
    Attached Files
    Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
    All the best,
    Chris

Comment

Italy 1945. With most books, I would take that to mean that it was printed in Italy in 1945, but with this one I'm not sure.
      Attached Files
      All the best,
      Chris

Comment

last one.
        Attached Files
        All the best,
        Chris

Comment

Nice!

Wonderful!
          I am a big fan of his work.
          I really need to get a copy of this book to go along with my several WWII era 'Up Front' copies.
          Thanks for sharing!
          Last edited by Derek O.; 08-26-2007, 02:45 PM.

Comment

I picked on of those up on Ebay a couple of years ago real cheap. It's a great book. Unfortunately, I don't have any other information on it. At 25 cents, you done reeeeal good, boy!!

Steve
            ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Great score for a quarter

Up Front is excellent !

Back Home is excellent as well, it really shows the post WW2 issues.

Comment

Mauldin’s cartoons are great. Here is my only Mauldin book. It’s quite cool for a number of reasons: firstly the original owner (Capt Iain Fletcher NZ Medical Corps) was awarded the Military cross for operating his Aid station under almost continuos fire in July 1944 and for going out under fire and recovering wounded soldiers a number of times. Secondly he has added a few more Mauldin cartoons from “Stars and Stripes”. And lastly It looks like he intended to give the book as a gift to a non-military individual as every now and then he has written an explanation under the cartoon like for the cartoon with the mine detector he has written “There’s a mine under him. Flat plate is a detector.”
                Cheers
                Chris

Comment

Anyone familiar with this one???? It comes directly from a vet (g-uncle of mine) that was with HQ Btry - FA- 45th ID. He was KIA Palermo, November 1943. Just thought that I would throw this one in since it fits well here.
                  Attached Files
                  Brian Dentino

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WWII GLIDER INFO/ITEMS...ESPECIALLY 325TH GIR

Comment

The inside cover.........
                    Attached Files
                    Brian Dentino

Comment

and the date and printing information..................
                      Attached Files
                      Brian Dentino

Comment

No one seen this??????????????
                        Brian Dentino

Comment

Booksellers often mis-identify Mud, Mules, and Mountains as Mauldin's first book (first books usually hold a special place of honor for book collectors, even though most writers don't hit their stride until their second or third publication). In short, a lot of people don't know about Sicily Sketchbook even though it predated Mud by a year. A scarce Mauldin title and especially desirable in a condition that doesn't reflect miles of slogging in somebody's knapsack.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X