M-1 liner chinstraps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M-1 liner chinstraps

I need some info on M-1 helmet liner chinstraps please.The chinstraps with the BLACK hardware with the anchor logo on it are they late war WW2 or they Korean war isseue?I know the ones that are od color(green) are WW2 but what about these black ones?Thanks.

Enjoy your hobby
    Dennis J

liner chinstraps

Greetings Dennis: My understanding and a good rule of thumb for black hardware chinstraps is if they are painted black then it is post war.Late WW2 black hardware are oxidized black( not painted) which is quite different in appearance. An production number stamped under the lockover tab of a black hardware was once accepted as WW2.Even with a production number now, it still has to be oxidized black... not painted. A production number alone will not automatically determine that black hardware is WW2. Also any hardware marked DOT are post war. United Carr are WW2. I have attached pictures of both types of black hardware Simplified ...I believe this information is correct and hope this brief thumb rule helps.
    Regards
    Zeke
    Attached Files

Comment

oxidized black WW2 united carr

The chinstrap on the left, in the previously posted pictures is the WW2 black oxydized, united carr produced, while the one on the right is a production numbered, DOT produced.. black painted post WW2 chinstrap. I hope this makes sense. The picture attached below is of the WW2 black oxydized ,united carr chinstrap.
      Regards
      Zeke
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mandy333 View Post
        Greetings Dennis: My understanding and a good rule of thumb for black hardware chinstraps is if they are painted black then it is post war.Late WW2 black hardware are oxidized black( not painted) which is quite different in appearance. An production number stamped under the lockover tab of a black hardware was once accepted as WW2.Even with a production number now, it still has to be oxidized black... not painted. A production number alone will not automatically determine that black hardware is WW2. Also any hardware marked DOT are post war. United Carr are WW2. I have attached pictures of both types of black hardware Simplified ...I believe this information is correct and hope this brief thumb rule helps.
        Regards
        Zeke
        The proper terminology instead of oxydized is anodized, I believe.
        Regards
        Zeke

Comment

chinstraps

Please check out the chinstraps that are for sale on the US table on the estand and please tell me your thoughts.The person that is selling them would like to know as well as I.Thanks.

Dennis J

Comment

chinstraps

I just checked out a chinstap that came off of a Korean war helmet(junk) that has one rivet marked United Carr and the other one marked Dot the buckle is PAINTED black not anodized black.

Dennis J
            Last edited by Dennis J; 05-10-2007, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X