Medic Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medic Helmet

Here is a Medic Helmet that was given to me by a Farmer (Josey) in Bettendorf, Luxembourg (he aslo gave me a live MKII pineapple grenade still sealed in the original container)
    Attached Files

Medic Helmet - 2 Josey had this helmet in his barn for 45 years before he gave it to me. He and his brother use to go fishing with MKII's in the Sauer river.
    Attached Files

Comment

Medic Helmet - 3 Josey also had a late war 98K which I did not get but my friend Firmin who owned a Cafe in Bettendorf did get it instead. Josey was a regular in his Cafe.
      Attached Files

Comment

do you think the live grenade is still dangerous? maybe if you unscrew the fuze, you can remove the gunpowder inside?

Comment

I would not try to remove the fuse. It is sometimes possible to set off the grenade by doing so. Also, remember, that thing is 60 years old and maybe unstable.

Regards,

Ken

Comment

Guys,

Any Live Grenade is dangerous in War or Peace but I'm still here!! This took place back in 1990 while I was still on Active Duty. The MKII was perfectly preserved as it was still in the original sealed container. This was not a ground find which I certainly would not have messed with at all. I had enough experience handling grenades as an ex-Combat Engineer (Vietnam vet) and 24 years of Military service. anyway the MKII was like it came out of the factory. I taped the handle and pin as an extra precaution (by the way it also still had the factory safety tape on the grenade assembly inside the container) and just twisted off the entire assembly and emptied out the high explosive powder. I disabled the fuze detonator by rigging it to a tree and tying a cord to the ring and pulling it from a safe distance. I would not recommend this to anyone else that does not have the experience.

Originally posted by MAS36 View Post
            do you think the live grenade is still dangerous? maybe if you unscrew the fuze, you can remove the gunpowder inside?

Originally posted by Ken Carroll View Post
            I would not try to remove the fuse. It is sometimes possible to set off the grenade by doing so. Also, remember, that thing is 60 years old and maybe unstable.

Regards,

Ken
            Last edited by W Petz; 03-25-2007, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Its always nice to get a helmet fresh from the battlefield where it was used!

Comment

Mr Petz,

Thank you for posting that very clear explanation.

Best regards,

Ken

Comment

Bringing up this old thread as I am considering selling this Medic Helmet obtained by me back in the 1990's while I was stationed with the 8th Infantry Division in Baumholder, Germany. I frequently visited friends in Luxembourg which was still rich in obtaining U.S. and German items from farmers. Does anyone have an idea what this helmet is currently worth. It's not in the best shape but it is an original barn and Battle of the Bulge find. I may put up for sale some other items which include German as well.

Comment

I start with "no" whenever I consider any painted unit US helmet. I like yours though. The most commonly faked helmet is or seems to be a medic helmet. Do you still have contact with Josey? The more you can lock in its provenance the higher value. If I felt good that this was an honest barn find then I think it would be in the $1500-2000 range. I could be undervaluing it too. Sell the creepy head separately.

Comment

To answer your question on whether Josey is still alive. He is not as he was in his late seventies back in 1990 and passed on in 2008. As far as provenance goes I can only tell you I personally picked this helmet up from him. I was a SFC stationed in Baumholder Germany back then and have picked quite a few barn finds; for example Panther & Pz IV Tank wheels which I still have in my Collection. I'm a long time collector since my teenage years and most of my collection has been through my assignments with the U.S. Army overseas...mainly 1987 through 2003 and then Holland 2006 to 2012. I do understand any doubts as I am a collector and not a dealer. BTW the creepy head would not be part of this sale. Thank you for your input.

I would also like to mention that any sales that I make will be only to those in the USA.

Bill

P.S. I MUST ASK EVERYONE TO REFRAIN FROM SENDING ME ANY PM'S

Originally posted by dhcoleterracina View Post
                      I start with "no" whenever I consider any painted unit US helmet. I like yours though. The most commonly faked helmet is or seems to be a medic helmet. Do you still have contact with Josey? The more you can lock in its provenance the higher value. If I felt good that this was an honest barn find then I think it would be in the $1500-2000 range. I could be undervaluing it too. Sell the creepy head separately.

Comment

Is the liner medic marked as well?

Comment

If you mean painted...No it is not.

Originally posted by dhcoleterracina View Post
                          Is the liner medic marked as well?

Comment

I stated at the beginning of reopening this thread that I was considering selling this Medic Helmet as I was only asking for a value range. So if I do sell it or any other items they will be listed on E-Stand.

I also said I will only be selling in the US (so no sales outside USA) and asked that no PM's be sent to me.

I'm asking again please do not send me any PM's or emails. Any sales of my collection will be within the US. I was thinking about selling on Ebay but they now have this idiotic thing about charging taxes.

Thank you

Comment

Just to let everyone know I decided to keep the Medic Helmet.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X