French WWI DSC question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French WWI DSC question...

What's the story behing the French making a WWI DSC for US troops? I've seen a few online for sale over the years, and just wanted to have a little history on the piece.

Robert
    Attached Files

Originally posted by robert pierce
    What's the story behing the French making a WWI DSC for US troops? I've seen a few online for sale over the years, and just wanted to have a little history on the piece.

Robert
    Hey Robert,

Since you got no answer in 12 hours, I'll give you what limited knowledge I have. I hope others will jump in as well.

The DSC with oak leaves on the arms was the first design. It was manufactured in both the US and France (you can tell the difference by the size of the medal and the size of the "FOR VALOR" on the reverse).

Soon after it's introduction, a modified, simpler design was produced (the DSC as we know it today). There exist both French and US manufactured versions of this new design as well.

Because the medal was introduced in July 1918, it was probably more cost effective and more timely to have a French firm manufacture the medals, since the majority of the awards would be issued in France. But this is just speculation on my part.

Looking forward to hearing from others more knowledgeable than me

Comment

Thank you, Tom.

This particular medal has no brooch. Does this mean it is one of the French types?

Robert
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce
        Thank you, Tom.

This particular medal has no brooch. Does this mean it is one of the French types?

Robert
        That's a French one. US ones are numbered, and the FOR VALOR is taller and thinner.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X