Is this any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this any good?

this technician badge is larger and is not sterling. Any good? All opinions welcome. Ron
    Last edited by Ron P; 04-23-2006, 06:29 PM.

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Is this good

In my opinion NO.

Brad

Comment

Okay, but why? Regards, Ron

Comment

reason

Looks like a cast copy to me. Will see what others say but I personally would not want to add this to my small collection.

Brad

Comment

It is a good one. The cast examples from WWII are quite often seen in vet groups. UGLY with a capital UG but wartime 100%.

Comment

Brad, the one thing that gives me hope is the pattern on the back of badge is reminiscent of the "snowflake" pattern on some prewar insignia some of which was not sterling silver. Not the same pattern I realize but still I would not expect any pattern in a repro. Ron

Comment

I think its good.

Why try to fake one of these buggers? In general, unless the little bars are for some super rare qualification (eg Expert Slingshot), you cant give these things away.

I see these at flea markets all the time going for 1-2 bucks all the way to 20$. The cast ones are frequently mixed in with stamped and hallmarked examples in insignia groupings that I see from time to time.

P. Frost

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. Ron

Comment

Happy to learn

I have learned something new. I had assumed because it was cast that it was a copy. I am obviously wrong since I trust Patrick and Andrew's opinion.

Always glad to learn something new.

Brad

Comment

I learn something new on this website every day. Ron

Comment

Cast insignia were actually pretty common later in the war years. There are several known examples of cast weapons qualification badges and USMC insignia. I do agree, ugly as sin but still deserving of a place in a collection.

Jeremiah

Comment

Some of the cast examples were theater made, according to a few veterans from whom I obtained examples, not unlike the cast wings that were often created in the POW camps.

Comment

Fascinating

I am really surprised but pleased to learn. Another reason to not trust an Imperial Russian Collector (me) with WWII AAC items!

Will teach me to make snap judgements out of my area of expertise.

With appropriate humility,

Brad
                            Last edited by atlantis; 04-21-2006, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Here's two more shots to illustrate this type of insignia. In the USMC collecting field these are often called "Mexican" or "Tiajuana" pieces. Both are cast and ugly as sin but 100% wartime.

Jeremiah
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X