Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown WW2 to Korean War bags?

Hello,

I know a bunch about old American canvas items from the 20th Century. However, sometimes I come across something out there in the World that is unknown to me. I have a couple of bags that I was wondering if someone could tell me what they are for? The smaller size bag has an Avery Canvas 1945 marking. The larger size bag has no markings. The small size 1945 bag is under 12 Inches across. The larger size bag is around 36 Inches long. I wonder if the small size bag might be some sort of Doctor's bag? I have no idea. The larger size bag is made of all natural fiber materials, and I believe it to be WW2 to Korean War period. I have seen 1960s era canvas items that had synthetic threads to sew them together. This large size bag has all natural fiber stitching. I wonder if it is some sort of radio antenna bag? There are divided compartments on the inside of the long large size bag. There is a pocket on the side. I have seen radio bags, and the M-209 Cypher Machine bags with a side pocket for instructions and tools, and spare parts. This long large size bag also seems padded on the insides between layers. Maybe padded to keep the contents from damage? I have seen "Bag, Casualty Evacuation" from the Korean War era that had water fowl feathers inside the bag as padding to keep wounded soldiers from freezing to death. I think this unknown long large size bag might also be padded with water fowl feathers. I would appreciate any information that anybody might know about these bags. I have had them for years, and don't know what they were for originally. They just look like WW2 to Korean War era materials. The smaller bag is dated 1945.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by nick82sgc; 09-07-2020, 03:16 PM. Reason: Fix spelling errors.

A few more photos of the larger size bag.
    Attached Files

Comment

I am not sure on either of these but I think the first one is to carry case for a Fuse Setter for artillery shells. I have seen similar but not exactly, could be just a different type. The second one I am pretty sure is to carry a tripod of some sort, not for a gun but rather a piece go signal or engineer equipment. Could be wrong on both but will give you a direction to search.

Comment

Originally posted by qed4 View Post
        I am not sure on either of these but I think the first one is to carry case for a Fuse Setter for artillery shells. I have seen similar but not exactly, could be just a different type. The second one I am pretty sure is to carry a tripod of some sort, not for a gun but rather a piece go signal or engineer equipment. Could be wrong on both but will give you a direction to search.
        I don't think the second one is even military related...Looks commercial to me, like perhaps for a badminton set or something...Bodes

Comment

The first bag looks like a tool bag.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X