WW1 Three ribbon bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 Three ribbon bar

I took my wife antiquing and came across this in a case. Dealer listed it as a 2 ribbon bar from WW2. The price was right and since I never find stuff antiquing I bought it. It appears to me (correct me if I'm wrong) to be the Victory medal with two Stars for bravery, a DCM and the French Great War medal.
    Attached Files
    pseudo-expert

Don...
    The ribbons are those of the Allied Victory Medal of World War I with two campaign stars. As far as I know, only the United States used campaign stars. The center ribbon is that of the Belgian WWI Commemorative Medal, while the third ribbon is that of the French WWI Commemorative Medal.

Comment

Don,
      I think three awards are (from left to right):

1. USA Victory medal with two bronze battle stars(for sectors of service)
      2. The Belgium Commemorative Medal
      3. French Combatant's Cross

Comment

The ribbons for the French WWI Commemorative Medal and the French WWI Combatant's Cross look very similar, but the Commemorative Medal has only five red stripes on the ribbon, as on this ribbon bar.

Comment

Bill,
          You are quite right, my mistake. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks guys.
            pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Bill D. View Post
              The ribbons for the French WWI Commemorative Medal and the French WWI Combatant's Cross look very similar, but the Commemorative Medal has only five red stripes on the ribbon, as on this ribbon bar.
              Like this?

Attached Files
              RonR

Comment

Would those campaign bars be correct for the commemoratives?
                pseudo-expert

Comment

The battle clasps could well be correct. There were 14 official battle clasps and 5 service clasps.

Comment

It seems unusual to me that an American soldier or veteran would wear the ribbons for the French and Belgian Medals, but then there are a lot of odd things in World War I medals. It MIGHT be that the American was a military doctor or a staff officer who participated in two campaigns with American forces, but who also had service with Belgian and French troops, and who was actually entitled to wear their medals (or he thought that he was). There is certainly no doubt that the ribbon bar is original. It's just one of those curious examples of WWI ribbon assemblies that I have seen many times over the years. I once owned a group to an American WWI aerial observer. He flew some missions with the French, and on one he was wounded. His medals (and his ribbon rack) included the French Wound Medal. I was never sure if he was officially entitled to that, but he wore it, even into his World War II service.

Comment

There are so many things possible that I never would say it's impossible.
                      In a German Forum we have a Thread with "Things Never Possible", where we post Period Pics of odd things.
                      Clearly Air Force Soldiers wear Navy Combat Badges and other funny stuff like this. So why not some French on an American Breast.

Comment

Originally posted by uscob View Post
                        There are so many things possible that I never would say it's impossible.
                        In a German Forum we have a Thread with "Things Never Possible", where we post Period Pics of odd things.
                        Clearly Air Force Soldiers wear Navy Combat Badges and other funny stuff like this. So why not some French on an American Breast.
                        Absolutely. It's a fascinating ribbon bar.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X