Zippo help

Hello,
    need your opinions about this 3 Zippos.
    Im happy about any Infos about them.
    Are these rare ones ?
    Opinions about the Value please.

Thanks for your help
    Attached Files

They look to be some sort of commemorative lighters....If this is the case, they were made to be a collectable to commemorate something....Even if made in small quantities, chances are they will never appreciate much in the way of value/collectability...They could also be something a person could pick up at a local PX, but again are likely not overly desirable or collectable....Bodes

Comment

Thanks

Comment

I don't know if I completely agree with Bodes. The USS Nimitz is a Plank Owner's lighter, which (I believe) signifies that the person was a member of the original crew when the ship was launched. This is a big deal to most navy guys. The second one looks to be some sort of "atta boy" gift from a four-star admiral, sort of like what challenge coins are used for these days. Anything from a four-star is kind of a big deal. I can't see the back of the last one in the photos but appears to also be an "atta boy" from the Commander, Sub Force, Atlantic Fleet. Sounds like a big shot to me, so this may be kind of a big deal, too. Vintage Zippo lighters are very collectible in their own right, and these may have special significance to the right collector. I'd look on other forums, specifically the US Militaria Forum and any Zippo forums you can find. You might look at vintage Zippo prices on eBay, too. Seems no one here is very knowledgeable (I'm sure not) about Navy Zippos, hence the lack of comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B. View Post
          I don't know if I completely agree with Bodes. The USS Nimitz is a Plank Owner's lighter, which (I believe) signifies that the person was a member of the original crew when the ship was launched. This is a big deal to most navy guys. The second one looks to be some sort of "atta boy" gift from a four-star admiral, sort of like what challenge coins are used for these days. Anything from a four-star is kind of a big deal. I can't see the back of the last one in the photos but appears to also be an "atta boy" from the Commander, Sub Force, Atlantic Fleet. Sounds like a big shot to me, so this may be kind of a big deal, too. Vintage Zippo lighters are very collectible in their own right, and these may have special significance to the right collector. I'd look on other forums, specifically the US Militaria Forum and any Zippo forums you can find. You might look at vintage Zippo prices on eBay, too. Seems no one here is very knowledgeable (I'm sure not) about Navy Zippos, hence the lack of comments.
          Steve has brought up some good points....Lighters such as these shown here may have started out as something to commemorate a momentous occasion such as the launching of a ship....A representative for Zippo meets up with those doing the ceremonies, and asks if they would like a lighter made to honor the occasion....An 'X' amount are consigned, some are given out as gifts and souvenirs, others are placed in the local PX for any naval personnel passing through to purchase one....After the supply is exhausted, the than enterprising salesman talks the base into buying more so that any personnel serving active duty onboard can buy one as well....This can go on for decades with lots of lighters being sold in the process....Let's face it, Zippo didn't come up with this idea to help make their product collectable...They did it to make their product salable and in volumes....Placing these trinkets next to the check out is just good marketing....Now if you can find one that has the correct markings on the bottom that correspond with the time frame an event has taken place, you may be partially there....Depends on the person doing the collecting, and how historically linked the item has to be for his liking of the occasion for which they were commemorating....Bodes

Comment

Thanks for your opinions , forgot the backphoto of the last
            Attached Files

Comment

The COMMNAVFOREUR and COMSUBLANT lighters are presentation pieces given by the Admirals named on them to individuals such as visiting dignitaries or members of the command when transferring to another duty station. Are they marked "ZIPPO" or some other brand? Collectible either way. I think the "plank owner" and COMMSUBLANT lighters would be more desirable than the other to collectors.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X