griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1963 trailer for generator, what should I offer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1963 trailer for generator, what should I offer?

A guy at a repair shop I get work done at has this 1963 Army trailer he is looking to part with. At one time it had a generator on it, but that's long gone. He was going to use it for something, but never got around to it. He took it apart and has everything he took off of it. Note it has the original tires dated 1963. The frame has a set up to hold one 5 gal jerry can each side. One of the can holders can be seen in the second photo and it mounts in the frame in the first photo towards the tong . It's an odd shaped can holder. Anyway I was looking on line for this type trailer to figure out a fair market. Everything I saw had a fixed tong and this one slides into the frame. What is a reasonable price?
    Attached Files

This trailer is very small. I have a Suzuki Samurai that this would be the perfect size for. I was thinking of using the trailer as a mobile base camp for my trips. Back in the 1920's campers towed home made base camps that held everything for a weekend in the wilderness. Google it to see what I'm thinking of doing.

Comment

I like these ideas.
      Attached Files

Comment

These are better pics. I still can not find one like it on line. Inside wheel well to wheel well is 3'. Length frame to frame is 51 3/4". Width frame to frame is 32 7/8". outside wheel well to wheel well is 4'9". The gas can holders mount to frame and wheel wells.
        Attached Files

Comment

I found it! it's called a M716/M762 -- also designated as a "Small Generator Trailer."
          Attached Files

Comment

So, I have looked at every M716/M762 I could find on line and they all differ from the one I am looking at. The ones I have seen on line all have the axel center to the frame and they all have this tow bar set up. The one I'm looking at is different.
            Attached Files

Comment

data plate
              Attached Files

Comment

You may have better luck getting answers on a military vehicle page such as www.mvpa.com, or even better www.g503.com. The g503 site is mainly jeeps, but they have multiple pages for every military vehicle you can think of, and the folks are friendly and helpful. You will have to “join” to ask a question, but that’s free and easy.

I could give you a guess on value, but it would just be a guess. I do believe the tires are probably no good after sitting for so long.

Comment

Steve, I have tried mvpa and a group out of Texas. So far they have not seen one either. I have also looked at other sites and ran the info on the data tag. Electromagnetic Industries sold to another company about 15 years ago and they are also based out of Texas. They do not have the records of the first company. The Federal stock number and the TM- number did not come up nor did the repair parts list. That data tag was frame mounted. It's possible that trailer was sub contracted out by Electromagnetic. Normally trailer manufactures had their own data tags and the makers of the generator would have their own data tags, but it looks like Electromagnetic was able to combine everything onto one data tag. Based on the serial number I can assume at least 410 of these were made. Every 1/4 ton trailer from the Bantom jeep trailer on used leaf springs and an "A" frame mount for the hitch. This does not and that makes this one an odd ball for sure. Company's make replacement tires for about $100.00USD each.

Comment

It is called the V-226/G Trailer Generator Set

So MVPA came through! Not much is known about these. They seem to be a USMC item. So far only one is known to be complete and thats this one from the MVPA site. This is the link. https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?p=1685924
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice work getting to the bottom of it. Really looks in great condition and I'd think perfect for base camp as you said. Also noted the Cushman scooter parts. Nice little pocket of goodies.

Im no good giving a value to the trailer as it needs work but is a great base to start from for what your after. Surely whoever has it has an idea of what they want for it right?

Comment

Lloyd. I ended up trading a WW2 Navy aircraft radio transmitter for the trailer. The radio I posted. I gave it a lite sanding and did a rattle can paint job on it. Next is the wiring harness and lights.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Lloyd, The place I picked the trailer up from has all sorts of vintage everything all over the place. It's a really cool garage.

Comment

Yeah I love places like that. You turn something over or move a sheet of cardboard and there's another treasure uncovered.

Trailer is looking good already. Nice find and nice save given the rarity. It's always amazing what some elbow grease can do then seeing a before and after.

Comment

I got the reworked lights and wiring in and took it for a small put. Still lots to do, but at least its moving along.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X