Purple Heart Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purple Heart Question

In a German Forum, several people said that the old, numbered PH's weren't Named in most cases as they were awarded by Medical Personnel in Hospitals and just given out of the Box to the wounded.
    I can't believe this as I said, I never saw an awarded PH without Naming.
    I guess, even if awarded in a Hospital, there hat to be at least the minimum standard in awarding and naming of such Decoration.
    Any comments welcome.

Different time, but in 1969 I was in the intensive care ward at 3rd Field Hospital, Saigon. An established brick building. 2nd day, some Col showed up, pinned a PH to my pillow and walked off. There was a card in the box telling where to mail it to if I want it engraved. I have my father's PH from 506th at Eindhoven. No number or name. Life in the military must always be described as "different day, different stuff."
    MLP

Comment

Generally, Purple Hearts that were presented in hospitals or in the theater of operations were not named. Named Purple Hearts are frequently posthumous.I have seen instances where a soldier was freed after being a prisoner of war and his medals were sent to him, with that Purple Heart being engraved. I have also seen numbered WWII Purple Hearts that were presented in the theater of operations and which came with a copy of the General Orders listing the soldier's name as the recipient and also recording the number of the medal, but the medal itself was unnamed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill D. View Post
        Generally, Purple Hearts that were presented in hospitals or in the theater of operations were not named. Named Purple Hearts are frequently posthumous.I have seen instances where a soldier was freed after being a prisoner of war and his medals were sent to him, with that Purple Heart being engraved. I have also seen numbered WWII Purple Hearts that were presented in the theater of operations and which came with a copy of the General Orders listing the soldier's name as the recipient and also recording the number of the medal, but the medal itself was unnamed.
        This is exactly right.

The general rule is that PHs for wounds in WWII were not named, but posthumous PHs were. And, POW PHs were typically named as well.

WWI PHs for wounds were named, but it is very much related to the fact that they were issued after 1932, usually per request by the recipient (they initially received the Accolade). I can't speak to PHs from later conflicts (after WWII).

Comment

Originally posted by MikeP View Post
          Different time, but in 1969 I was in the intensive care ward at 3rd Field Hospital, Saigon. An established brick building. 2nd day, some Col showed up, pinned a PH to my pillow and walked off. There was a card in the box telling where to mail it to if I want it engraved. I have my father's PH from 506th at Eindhoven. No number or name. Life in the military must always be described as "different day, different stuff."
          I have two purple hearts to a 506th veteran who was also at Eindhoven. He was wounded twice, obviously, but only got the medals when he mustered out.. They looked at this records, noticed two awards, and just gave him TWO cased PH's. He also got a Bronze Star. All are un-named.

Comment

There is a list of the recipients of the serial numbered PH's....Unfortunately it's incomplete, but can be accessed on the US military forum....Bodes

Comment

Awards I ever saw in or out of the service, were issued separately.
              You got the whole deal for each instance. It was up to the recipient to add the oak leaves, etc to the ribbon for wear.
              MLP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X