Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Us navy officer grey visor for comments

Hi
    Please leave your thoughts before purchasing this US NAVY Officer Grey one visor... Is ok WW2 period, etc
    I was said those were used only for US NAVY pilots, is ok?
    Attached Files

A few more shots
    Attached Files

Comment

The cap itself is actually pre WW2 - It has a "longer" visor and eagle head on button faces viewer's right (pre 1941). Grey was used by ALL USN officers from mid war until a couple of years after. No doubt this earlier-made cap was fitted with the grey cover (and a post 1941 badge with left facing eagle) during the war.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt A. View Post
        The cap itself is actually pre WW2 - It has a "longer" visor and eagle head on button faces viewer's right (pre 1941). Grey was used by ALL USN officers from mid war until a couple of years after. No doubt this earlier-made cap was fitted with the grey cover (and a post 1941 badge with left facing eagle) during the war.
        Here I attatched a pic from the other view and so I could confirm to you both buttons are facing right and what is the explanation for this cap, owner worn the cap pre WW2 and during WW2?
        Thanks once more
        Fernando
        Attached Files

Comment

The hat looks fine for the WW 2 period. What the seller might be confusing is that USN aviators wear a smart-looking green uniform with brown shoes (brown shoe navy) that was introduced during WW 1 I believe. While it does look at first glance like a USMC uniform the brown shoes and navy insignia maker it quickly clear it is USN aviation. Haven't seen the movie but perhaps you can see the grey cover in the recent Tom Hanks movie Greyhound. What better place to show a GREY lid?

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
            The hat looks fine for the WW 2 period. What the seller might be confusing is that USN aviators wear a smart-looking green uniform with brown shoes (brown shoe navy) that was introduced during WW 1 I believe. While it does look at first glance like a USMC uniform the brown shoes and navy insignia maker it quickly clear it is USN aviation. Haven't seen the movie but perhaps you can see the grey cover in the recent Tom Hanks movie Greyhound. What better place to show a GREY lid?
            Hi
            What explanation have you about the buttons facing on the opposite site than the device?
            Thanks

Comment

Sorry, I don't know such details but it could well be pre-war/later war mix like was already suggested.

Comment

Should also add that the badge on the front is post 1941 based on the eagle facing viewer's left. So, a pre WW2 hat reconfigured to post 1941 regs and no doubt as worn during WW2. If you were to remove the badge, you'd find it to be a nice sterling and 1/20th 10K example with a maker's hallmark (such as Viking)

Comment

Should also add that the badge on the front is post 1941 based on the eagle facing viewer's left. So, a pre WW2 hat reconfigured to post 1941 regs and no doubt as worn during WW2. If you were to remove the badge, you'd find it to be a nice sterling and 1/20th 10K example with a maker's hallmark (such as Viking)
                  Hi Kurt
                  You are ok see the device maker, another question seller told me cap is the green version for USN aviators and he sent me a comparative pic with a policeman grey cap to see the difference, what do you think is grey as I stated at first or here we have a green one?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here is information on the gray uniform from the U.S. Navy website:
                    https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-...1943-1944.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bill D. View Post
                      Here is information on the gray uniform from the U.S. Navy website:
                      https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-...1943-1944.html
                      Please for you wich colour is the cap, gray or green?

Comment

Originally posted by L11-VELASCO View Post

Please for you wich colour is the cap, gray or green?
                        To me the cap appears to be the gray visor cap, showing some soiling and a bit of fading from exposure to the sun. This is not unusual for the gray uniforms. They were intended to be utility work uniforms. They also were not very popular with Navy personnel and they didn't last very long, making them uncommon in the collecting field. The green caps are an unmistakable green, quite dark, almost a forest green, and they were wool.

Comment

Here is an example of the green cap, a dark and unmistakable color, and constructed of wool.
                          Attached Files

Comment

The originally posted cap could be khaki. Not green, as stated above.

Comment

The originally posted cap could be khaki. Not green, as stated above.
                              Possibly, I suppose, but when I look at the posted photos that show areas of the cap that were not exposed to the sun (such as underneath the overhangs and beneath the black cap band), they do look gray on my monitor.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X