US knife??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US knife??

I was given this knife. Is it an american one? It looks very similar to one I have with US written on it. Is this an anterior model or something.
    JL
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Jean-Loup
    I was given this knife. Is it an american one? It looks very similar to one I have with US written on it. Is this an anterior model or something.
    JL
    Jean-Loup.

Certainly appears to be American. All of the WWI mess kit "eating tools" I have encountered do have the U.S., maker's mark and dates, but I have seen WWII without markings, so my guess is WWII?

Gary

Comment

Yes, this should be WW2, and probably used bu a forceman as well.

JL

Comment

Can anyone confirm for certain this knife is American from WW2?

Comment

People here know the secrets of all the models of purple hearts, steel helmets and 82nd airborn titles, but no one can confirm for sure this is a WW2 US knife??

JL

Comment

Well, its hard to tell. I have never seen a WWII messkit knife that did not have a hole at the top of the handle. I think this one has a lot of us somewhat baffled.
            Vance

People here know the secrets of all the models of purple hearts, steel helmets and 82nd airborn titles, but no one can confirm for sure this is a WW2 US knife??

JL

Comment

In the meantime, I looked closely at the blade, and it says "stainless steal", so I guess its US. But has anyone ever seen a similar model, or whatever. The knife was found in a local basement years ago, and seeing its condition, it was apparently outside for many years as well. I live in a village liberated by the FSSF, and where they were deactivated and camped for a while, so I would think its one of them who left this thing behind. It is very heavy thow, and as a soldier, I would have perfered an aluminum one. Maybe this is why it was abandoned?

JL

Comment

Jean-Loup,
                It is indeed a World War ONE US messkit knife. It was most likely issued to a National Guardsman in WWII, so I would say not likely used by a forceman, but rather a soldier in the 34th or 36th Division. Our National Guardsmen typically get the old crap (OK, our Marines get the 2nd hand stuff too) with the new stuff being issued to the Regular Army.
                I'll bet it had a date on the pot metal handle, but as it is so degraded, the date has probably crumbled off.
                These knives used to sell for a buck at shows and surplus stores.
                Allan

In the meantime, I looked closely at the blade, and it says "stainless steal", so I guess its US. But has anyone ever seen a similar model, or whatever. The knife was found in a local basement years ago, and seeing its condition, it was apparently outside for many years as well. I live in a village liberated by the FSSF, and where they were deactivated and camped for a while, so I would think its one of them who left this thing behind. It is very heavy thow, and as a soldier, I would have perfered an aluminum one. Maybe this is why it was abandoned?

JL

Comment

"but I have seen WWII without markings, so my guess is WWII?"

"It is indeed a World War ONE US messkit knife."

If it wasnt owned by a Forcemen, I would suspect an attached person from an engineer or artillery unit had it. I dont think any national guards were around here.
                  But if it is a WW1 knife, probabilities are that it actualy was used in WW1, and kept to be used as a tool since then by french civilian.
                  About money value, I know it is worth nothing. But that realy isnt what is important to me. The coin below was in the pocket of a German soldier when he was killed, and it still has a piece of schrapnel embeded in it.
                  What is the value? 10 $? Well, if you come to my house with 1000 $, it still isnt for sale.

JL
                  Attached Files

Comment

I would agree that it could have very easily been a WW1 knife reissued to a U.S. soldier prior to the 1942 buildup. I've seen quite a bit of WW1 gear reissued to regular army soldiers as well. I have some examples in my collection but I must admit most belonged to National Guard troops as Allan stated below. Kim

Comment

Jean-Loup,

As the guys state, it could very well be and most likely is WWI. Also very possible that it could have been reissued during WWII? The handle and now the "stainless steel" marking has me baffled completely. I don't collect WWI U.S. equipment, but do have some utensils from that era. Thought I would scan the knives to show you what the dated pieces look like, so you might be able to tell if yours might have had maker's marks, date or U.S.? I occassionally have to steel wool the blades on these to keep them rust free. Same with the 1918 dated forks and spoons. If you would like to see what the WWI dated fork or spoon looks like, let me know?

Gary

Handles
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Jean-Loup,

Forget to mention the coin. That is very interesting and I would love to hear the story about how it came to you.

Gary

Comment

Jean-Loup,
                            The big difference between World War I mess utensils and WWII untensils is that Field Sanitation advanced to the point that large oval holes were applied to the WWII utensils in order to allow them to be threaded through the handle of the messkit.
                            This was done so that the messkit and untensils could be sterilized prior to use and then effectively cleaned afterward. Unlike a mess hall, the messkit was cleaned by the user and not by a KP who was working in the skullery. Field mess operations dictated that a trash can with clean water and an imersion heater be placed in the chow line prior to the food being dispersed. The water was supposed to be boiling, and the GI was to thread the messkit lid and knife, fork and spoon through the folding metal handle on the messkit pan. The ensemble was held by the end of the handle and dipped into the boiling water to kill any germs that might be on the metal.
                            After the GI finished his meal, he was to scrape the remaining food out of the messkit and then go to the wash station which consisted of three more trash cans with immersion heaters. The first can was full of hot, soapy water. The second was a bleach and water dip and that was followed by a plain water dip. All were done in boiling or nearly boiling water.
                            Allan

Comment

"
                              About money value, I know it is worth nothing. But that realy isnt what is important to me. The coin below was in the pocket of a German soldier when he was killed, and it still has a piece of schrapnel embeded in it.
                              What is the value? 10 $? Well, if you come to my house with 1000 $, it still isnt for sale.

JL
                              JL, you are AOK! I like the way you think.

Ray

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X