Unknown Armor patch??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Armor patch??

Last edited by Jim Baker; 11-16-2005, 10:10 PM.

Comment

You might try posting this in the International section as it is not very old and it is also not a US shoulder patch. Maybe South Korean, Thai or some other Asian country?
      Allan

Comment

Originally posted by Allan H.
        You might try posting this in the International section as it is not very old and it is also not a US shoulder patch. Maybe South Korean, Thai or some other Asian country?
        Allan
        Hi Jim,

I wouldn't give up on this patch as not being associated with U.S. and not old just yet. With the colors and presence of the tank tread, my guess is it could be some obscure Armor Signals unit as in Company size that had their own patches made up in England? The embroidery on this patch looked very familiar to me, so I went through several of my patch binders before finding these WWII English made AAF 9th AF patches. Looks like the same embroidery to me? There is the possibility that this patch could be a very good sleeper? Do you own it?

Gary
        9th AAF (01)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by GLM; 08-24-2005, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Flipside on both
          Attached Files

Comment

Strange Patch

I'm with Allan on this. The second I saw it I thought it looked Asian. Although I do see some similarities with the English made patch, that patch has an embroidered obverse background. The armored patch does not look embroidered to me.

It looks to me , and it could be the scan, to be the "applique" style [Yes, I probably spelled it wrong.]

Compare the red sections of Jim's patch and my patch.

It is a neat patch, though, whatever it is.
            Attached Files

Comment

Comment

I don't think it's foreign based on that very American tri-colored armor triangle design. But, I don't think it's regular Army. I'm thinking ROTC.

Kurt

Comment

Ok, somebody is out 3 beers: one to Alan for not trusting his expert instincts, one to me for spending 14 zillion hours tracking this down, and one to Mr. Edward R. Rivera for documenting these in his article "Nationalist Chinese Shoulder Patches", which appeared in the January-March, 1993 issue of the ASMIC Trading Post magazine.

In case the scan is too tiny, the patch that started the thread is for the Nationalist Chinese Armor Headquarters. The second variation is for the Armor School, #3 for the 1st Armored Division, and #4 for the 2nd Armored Division.

From rank insignia, to pilot wings, to shoulder patches, the U.S. has had an enormous influence on many foreign military organizations where there have been advisors, aid, or extensive liaison. You'll find these kind of insignia – suggestive of U.S. items – all over the world, just as you'll find a good many influenced by British and French styles.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by VerKuilen Ager
                    Ok, somebody is out 3 beers: one to Allan for not trusting his expert instincts, one to me for spending 14 zillion hours tracking this down, and one to Mr. Edward R. Rivera for documenting these in his article "Nationalist Chinese Shoulder Patches", which appeared in the January-March, 1993 issue of the ASMIC Trading Post magazine.
                    VerKuilen,
                    Thanks for the beer! I KNEW it looked Asian! You earned yours too! If I ever get to meet you face to face, I will be more than happy to buy you a cold one. Great job tracking the ID down.
                    Allan

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X