Sterling WW2 USN pilot wings - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sterling WW2 USN pilot wings - why?

Why were these all-sterling USN pilot wings issued? I’ve seen them described as NAP and observer wings but have not found any solid documentation.<O

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Hallmark detail

Originally posted by Adam Lewis
    Why were these all-sterling USN pilot wings issued? I’ve seen them described as NAP and observer wings but have not found any solid documentation.<O

Thanks.
    The dark recess on the MEYER wing says 'STERLING'.
    Attached Files

Comment

Sterling was a non-strategic metal. So durring WWII most us military insignia was made out of sterling. I think these wings just have had some of their origial gold gilt finish polished off.
      http://militarycollectorshq.com/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Jerry D
        Sterling was a non-strategic metal. So durring WWII most us military insignia was made out of sterling. I think these wings just have had some of their origial gold gilt finish polished off.
        Jerry,
        I should have been more explicit. These wings are in the pilot pattern but are not gold-filled like USN pilot wings. I have seen these silver (only) wings described as NAP wings and early Observer wings.

I'm hoping someone on the forum knows why these were made. IMHO they never had gold on them.

Thanks.
        Last edited by Adam Lewis; 07-02-2005, 07:38 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Are they actually silver colored? They look like there is remnants of gold gilting from here.

My understanding of these wings is that the 'wings of gold' dealt with the color and not the actual metal being used. Unless they are actually silver colored, I think these are just wartime Naval Pilot wings.

Perhaps Alan or Kurt can shed some more light on this.

sigpic

Comment

I need to go through my back issues of The ASMIC "Trading Post" as I recall discussion on these silver wings.
            The old line of thinking was that they were for enlisted pilots, but I don't think that is entirely accurate.
            I'll see if I can find the article.
            Allan

Are they actually silver colored? They look like there is remnants of gold gilting from here.

My understanding of these wings is that the 'wings of gold' dealt with the color and not the actual metal being used. Unless they are actually silver colored, I think these are just wartime Naval Pilot wings.

Perhaps Alan or Kurt can shed some more light on this.

Comment

Check This site

Originally posted by Allan H.
              I need to go through my back issues of The ASMIC "Trading Post" as I recall discussion on these silver wings.
              The old line of thinking was that they were for enlisted pilots, but I don't think that is entirely accurate.
              I'll see if I can find the article.
              Allan
              Allan,
              Bob Schwartz put these wings in the USN Observer section of his site. The reference is: http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usnavy...observer.shtml He has a network of experts so it's probably where they belong. Still, it would be nice to see some reference in a government issue document.
              Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Lewis
                Allan,
                Bob Schwartz put these wings in the USN Observer section of his site. The reference is: http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usnavy...observer.shtml He has a network of experts so it's probably where they belong. Still, it would be nice to see some reference in a government issue document.
                Adam
                I had started a previous thread about the silver USN wings. First, pilot wings were always GOLD. For enlisted pilots, airship pilots, balloon pilots, etc. NO silver USN wings were ever authorized for pilot ratings.

As for the used of silver wings for observer ratings in the 1920's, this is controversial. There is a USN historical document that indicates that the uniform regulations were changed for a few years such that SILVER pilot wings were to be used. However, I have spent some time trying to find these regulations and have never found them. IMHO, they don't exist. I have seen WWI and post WWI vintage USN observer wings in 1/2 wing pattern and with the "O".

In regards to your wings, which are clearly WW2 patterns, even if silver was authorized for observers, it is unlikely that your wings are of that vintage. Also, I to have a number of silver USN wings that seem to have never been gold plated. Since the 1920's observer wings (if true) would have been VERY VERY rare, then it isn't likely that many were made.

So, IMHO (again), I think that silver USN pilot wings are either unfinished wings, sweetheart wings, or maybe commercial/civilian airline wings for flying boat-type companies. However, that is just guessing on my part.

Hope that helps

Patrick Frost

Comment

Again for those of us in the cheap seats, are we talking gold/silver color or gold/silver metal?

The ones posted are certainly sterling, but look like they were gold gilted at one time.

sigpic

Comment

Again for those of us in the cheap seats, are we talking gold/silver color or gold/silver metal?

The ones posted are certainly sterling, but look like they were gold gilted at one time.
                    Sorry Jerry, for not making it clear.

I have seen USN pilot wings in real gold (usually 10K), gold plated over sterling silver, gold plated over some sort of other metal, gold plated brass, and even a gold wash/lacquer over metal. Sometimes, depending on the wing, the gold color of the wing is lost. However, usually with some careful study, you can see that these wings were at one point in the past gold colored.

I have also seen USN pilot wings that appear to have NEVER been gold plated or colored. These wings are sometimes sterling silver (sometimes not), and as such are NOT gold in color.

This is an example of that type of wing. As far as I can tell, this wing was never gold plated--it is in sterling silver.

The question is are these silver colored wings authorized for anything? Are they sweetheart wings, civilian wings, enlisted pilot wings (NO!) or a rare and briefly authorized USN observer rating (??).

It has been argued that these silver COLOR USN pilot wings were worn for a brief time by USN observers in the 1920's. In fact, this shown wing appears to be a 1920-30's pattern of USN wing. However, I have my doubts. Basically, since about 1916, all US Navy wings were gold COLORED, except for the combat aircrewman's wing (which falls more in line with other enlisted USN qualification badges in silver color--i.e. submarine badges, etc) and MABYE this mythic observer rating. All other USN wings (pilot, pre and post 1920 observers, flight surgeon, nurse, etc) are in gold color.

Also, if true the silver USN observer wing was only authorized for a few months to a year or so. Since the number of USN observers in that time must have been tiny, why is the silver colored USN wing so common? I have 2 or 3, and I know a number of USN wing collectors who have at least that many in their collection. These wings cover a wide range of styles and makers. So, the question still remains why were silver colored USN wings made and who wore them?

Hope that helps?

Regards

Patrick
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X