Bailey Banks and Biddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bailey Banks and Biddle

Several months ago Gary challenged me during a discussion on how to date EGAs, to find a catalog showing EGAs...well here is a BB&B catalog from the late 1920's. Although not much help it does show a single EGA. Sadly the same EGA was used in a catalog from the 1900s. But thought it would be good to show anyway...and check out those prices. The catalog also shows other items such as class rings, swords, state medals, and some campaign medals. If someone else has any BBB catalogs ...would love to see them.
    Attached Files

more
    Attached Files

Comment

One more for tonight
      Attached Files

Comment

Neat cataloge pages! Thanks for posting them!

What's funny is that my first reaction is: "WOW- boy I wish I could buy those now!!!" But, when you take a look at the price inflation between this cataloge and today, the prices aren't a "bargain"... Take, for example, the 14K Submarine Officer Badge. For $17, it's a STEAL. However, with inflation, that $17 becomes $180+ today. Still not bad for a piece of BB&B jewelry, by any means, but still pretty dear - you probably wouldn't be buying 10 of them for an investment! Also, remember that the junior Navy officer (or Army, Marine, etc.) buying this insignia was making about $100-$120 a month, so this pin would be nearly 20% of his monthly income!

Still, neat to think about though. Boy, I wish we had quality manufacturers of insignia today like this! Thanks again for posting it!

Dave

Comment

But BB&B wasn't competing with Ship's Stores. Their clientele wasn't walk-in traffic, but old money. And, when you see the old BB&B quality insignia, you can see the value.

Comment

Great stuff! Keep it coming!

Gary

Originally posted by Dirk
            One more for tonight

Comment

Another
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dirk,

Fantastic catalog! Love the very early pattern right collar emblem shown for USMC. The line drawings are excellent and it would have been nice if BBB had shown all emblems available in 1928, but as Jeff pointed out, this firm made high quality insignia for people with money, so it wasn't necessary for everything to be shown. The only USMC emblems made by them that I've seen so far were made for officer's, so now I'm wondering if BBB even made insignia for enlisted Marines? Is there any mention of EM emblems in the catalog?

Something else I noticed in the catalog is that it looks like they would use the same images year after year or maybe just change the year date each time they upgraded their catalog, using the same images? I noticed the miniature or USN/USMC shirt size Colonel's rank eagle as the "War Eagle" pattern with the bird's head facing the arrows rather than the olive branch as is shown in the larger emblem. Possibly an image held over from their WWI catalog? Same thing with the "simulated bullion" LT. bar or "coffin style" rank bars. Were these still in use in 1928? Did you notice the round star field in the Army officer's hat emblem. Wasn't this more oval in shape or flattened somewhat in the 1920's?

Just an all around great catalog and a great find for you. Keep the images coming. I'd love to see more!

Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X