The Four-Thousand Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Four-Thousand Club

One of the most exclusive "clubs" of the US fighting man in World War II was a unique award to the paratroopers who had been forced to use their reserve parachutes during a parachute jump.
    The club was called the "4,000 Club" and was only awarded in the earlist days of the airborne. The growth of the airborne forces from mere battalions to a total of five fully outfitted airborne divisions caused the club to go by the wayside.
    The pin is small, a little smaller than a dime and depicts a four leaf clover with the number 4,000 in the center. The number represented the jump command upon bailing out of the aircraft to count to three- one thousand, two thousand, three thousand, and then to check your canopy to ensure that it deployed. A count of four thousand without feeling the opening jolt of the opening chute required that the jumper pull the rip cord on his reserve.
    These pins are clutchback and manufactured by the LG Balfour Company.
    Attached Files

Here's an image of the back side of the pin.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Allan H.
      Here's an image of the back side of the pin.
      Wow How rare is it? In your collecting career, how many have you seen? What is the ballpark figure for such an item?
      When you go home
      Tell them for us and say
      For your tomorrow
      We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
      Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Never seen or heard of one before.

In addition to Walter's questions; are these copied yet?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Excellent item, Allan!

I had heard of them, but never seen an original one

Thanks for showing, from Jack.

Comment

Hi Allan

Any idea when Balfour manufactured them ? Did they come with any paperwork or a certificate?

Thanks

Kurt

Comment

In all of the years I have collected WWII airborne items, I have held two in my hand and seen a third.
              My understanding is that the 4,000 club pin came with a wallet card and a letter from Balfour. I have never seen any paperwork, bu that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I have seen the pins being worn twice- one is in a photo in Gary Howard's "America's Finest" and the other was in Edson Raff's "We Jumped to Fight."
              I doubt these were made past 1942.
              Allan

Comment

Allan,

That is a great looking pin, one I'm sure no one would ever want to be awarded, but once awarded it would have been worn with great pride. Do you have any information on who the paratrooper was that survived to wear this pin. Thanks for showing the pin, take care.

Gerry

Comment

Althought not on a combat jump I had to pull my reserve on sicily drop zone in Fort Bragg in 1996 while in B Co. 1/504. I will say it was the scariest moment of my life, but never got a pin for it!

Wade

Comment

Same here!! Sicily DZ,1996- Bco.3/505 P.I.R.
                    I want my pin!!!

Eric

Comment

I got booted off the jump tower by an impatient Sgt Major at RAF Brize Norton in 1974. could I get a "1" pin?
                      "Activity! Activity! Speed! I greet you."
                      -Napoleon to Massena, advancing on Landshut, April 18, 1809

Comment

Fortunately, no Reserve Rides for me! Knock on wood(head) Outstanding pin Allan. I had heard of them but never thought I would see one!

Gary
                        Originally posted by Chris_Werner
                        I got booted off the jump tower by an impatient Sgt Major at RAF Brize Norton in 1974. could I get a "1" pin?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X