How rare are these?

How rare are the two wheel TD patches??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Worth this???

Or these?

Comment

Rev

Comment

I've owned a few patches in my life and have never seen a 2 wheeled TD before? Kurt A., have you? My first thought was it was an unfinished patch and it may very well be but if so it's odd that the wheels would be so perfectly set at the edge of the tracks so could very well be a rightous piece.
        The Vth Armored Corps when real is a scarce patch. $75 plus. The XVIII this $125 plus.

Comment

My thoughts too were that it was an unifinshed 4 wheeler. But it is odd that the two end wheels would have been done first. If it is a real finished patch as is, the $175 was a deal.
          http://militarycollectorshq.com/

sigpic

Comment

That much!?!
            I think that I have to redesign my prices!
            I bought them last year in a lot for 3$ each and thought that I'm very expensive to sell them for 30 Euros.
            For sure I had originals.

Comment

Keep in mind it is the odd VARIANTS that command the high prices. A standard 4 or 8 wheel patch (or any of the more commonly found configurations) is still only a $3-15 patch depending how bad someone wants one.

These patches are similar to the CBI patches on that many-many varaitions exist, but some are extreemly hard to locate. Thise are the ones that bring the big $$
              http://militarycollectorshq.com/

sigpic

Comment

The V Corps seen above went for over $200. Whew.....

Comment

Andrew-
                  I think it's an unfinished patch. That price is crazy. I have an unfinished TD with just one wheel. I'll have to put it on Ebay. No doubt it would bring several thousand dollars.
                  Kurt

Originally posted by wartimecollectables
                  I've owned a few patches in my life and have never seen a 2 wheeled TD before? Kurt A., have you? My first thought was it was an unfinished patch and it may very well be but if so it's odd that the wheels would be so perfectly set at the edge of the tracks so could very well be a rightous piece.
                  The Vth Armored Corps when real is a scarce patch. $75 plus. The XVIII this $125 plus.

Comment

For sure I had the 2-wheeled ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt A.
                      Andrew-
                      I think it's an unfinished patch. That price is crazy. I have an unfinished TD with just one wheel. I'll have to put it on Ebay. No doubt it would bring several thousand dollars.
                      Kurt
                      Kurt-

I'm no expert on these, but my jury's out whether or not it's a finished or unfinished batch. The reason I say that is because I think that the yellow wheel would be embroidered on the same layer as the black background, instead of on top of it, as would have to be done to this patch to make it a four-wheeled variant.

Now, what I can believe it is is a manufacturer's error. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the patch makers accidentally made a batch of these and then, instead of just chucking them (remember, these folks were of the Depression generation and kept everything!) kept them in storage somewhere. Long after the War, the company went out of business, the stock of remaining patches sold and... viola! the two-wheeled manufacturer's error hits the market!

Does that make it any more or less valuable than $175? I think value is in the eye of the beholder, but just like an error coin that makes it through the mint, I could believe that these patches could bring a premium as "variations" as they really are... but just not officially worn variations.

Just my theory!

Dave

Comment

While I too am no "expert", I would tend to agree with Dave's theory about the TD patch.
                        Errors do get made, and sometimes they also get out to being issued. I seen quite a number of nonstandard or error patches that were actually worn.
                        As all the vets have said to me, "we used what we had" . Things werent produced for future collectors delictation.

Conrad

Comment

I agree with Dave and Conrad. Probably an error, and I wanted it. I actually thought I'd go ahead and bid the $75, and when I went back to it, it was gone. I don't think I could have paid the $175. I'm still learning about these patches, and was honestly shocked the V Corps patch went for what it did.

uscob,

If you still have any of these two wheelers, let me know.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X