Belgian Fourragere & French Fourragere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belgian Fourragere & French Fourragere

Who was awarded Belgian Fourragere & French Fourragere was it just the Airbourne units? I'm trying to find some info on a Jack D Porter 35923792. On his medal entitlements it say hes can wear the Belgian Fourragere. I have some other Doc's for leave from Unit Heading is 9th Airforce HQ.
    Last edited by Jim Mooney; 06-20-2005, 03:38 PM.

Originally posted by Jim Mooney
    Who was awarded Belgian Fourragere & French Fourragere was it just the Airbourne units? I'm trying to find some info on a Jack D Porter 35923792. On his medal entitlements it say hes can wear the Belgian Fourragere. I have some other Doc's for leave from Unit Heading is 9th Airforce HQ.
    Jim,
    Many units have earned the French Croix de Guerre fourragere or the Belgian fourragere. Most of the French awards came during the first World War, including units of the 2nd and 3rd Infantry Divisions. There were relatively few US units who earned the French fourragere in World War II, but units like the 16th Infantry regiment of the 1st Infantry Division received the French Croix de Guerre fourragere in both World War I and World War II. Upon the fourth unit award of the Croix de Guerre, the French authorize the wear of the fourragere to the Medalle Militaire which is a green and yellow cord.
    The Belgians were much more generous in their award of their Croix de Guerre which simply required being cited in the orders of the day of the Belgian Army. Two such citations gave the unit the right to wear the Belgian fourragere. Units like the 2nd Infantry Division- 9th, 23rd and 38th Infantry regiments, wore the French Croix de Guerre fourragere for World War I service and the Belgain fourragere for service in World War II.
    Confused? It can be. One of the more interesting awards of the Croix de Guerre from the French went to the 116th Infantry regiment with the citation "Beaches of Normandy" unfortunately, the 116th was never cited again, so those brave men who hit the beach at Omaha never received the honor of the fourragere from the French.
    Many aviation units reeived the Belgian fourragere in World War II.
    Allan

Comment

Originally posted by Allan H.
      Jim,
      Many units have earned the French Croix de Guerre fourragere or the Belgian fourragere. Most of the French awards came during the first World War, including units of the 2nd and 3rd Infantry Divisions. There were relatively few US units who earned the French fourragere in World War II, but units like the 16th Infantry regiment of the 1st Infantry Division received the French Croix de Guerre fourragere in both World War I and World War II. Upon the fourth unit award of the Croix de Guerre, the French authorize the wear of the fourragere to the Medalle Militaire which is a green and yellow cord.
      The Belgians were much more generous in their award of their Croix de Guerre which simply required being cited in the orders of the day of the Belgian Army. Two such citations gave the unit the right to wear the Belgian fourragere. Units like the 2nd Infantry Division- 9th, 23rd and 38th Infantry regiments, wore the French Croix de Guerre fourragere for World War I service and the Belgain fourragere for service in World War II.
      Confused? It can be. One of the more interesting awards of the Croix de Guerre from the French went to the 116th Infantry regiment with the citation "Beaches of Normandy" unfortunately, the 116th was never cited again, so those brave men who hit the beach at Omaha never received the honor of the fourragere from the French.
      Many aviation units reeived the Belgian fourragere in World War II.
      Allan
      Thanks for the info. but can the Belgian Fourragere be awarded to an individual?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mooney
        Thanks for the info. but can the Belgian Fourragere be awarded to an individual?
        The fourragere is as I stated earlier, a unit award, like the US Presidential Unit Citation. All of the soldiers assigned to a unit when the award was earned are entitled to wear the award. An individual who is personally awarded a Croix de Guerre twice would not be authorized to wear a fourragere. It is to designate that the soldier was there when the unit earned the distinction.
        Allan

Comment

I would add that Belgium awarded a lot of unit citations.

Regarding the French WW2 fourragere, the main recipients were the units of the 1st Infantry Division, 3rd Infantry Division, 4th Armored Division and 82nd Airborne Division. Among more famous units that did not qualify were the 101st Airborne and the 2nd Ranger Battalion.
          I'm not sure of the exact criteria for France, but a second award of the Croix de Guerre by itself was not it. The 116th as a whole was not cited again, but its 1st Battalion was, for "Vire". It is not entitled to a fourragere, however.

Similarly, the 115th Infantry also received a D-Day CdG, for "St. Laurent-Sur-Mer," and its 1st Battalion received one for "St. Lo." (10-11 July 44).

The 1st Battalion, 39th Infantry also was cited twice, for 18 June and 6-9 August 1944, but DA Pam 672-1 specifically notes that no fourragere was awarded as that would have to be specifically awarded by the French.

The 47th Infantry was cited for Cherbourg, and its 2nd Battalion is additionally cited for the Battle of Hamich Ridge in the Huertgen Forest.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated. I've sent of my request to the NARA so awaiting info back... in the mean time what unit would it be fair to assume this guy was part of all of, all his docs relate to the 9th Airforce.

Comment

...There were relatively few US units who earned the French fourragere in World War II, but units like the 16th Infantry regiment of the 1st Infantry Division received the French Croix de Guerre fourragere in both World War I and World War II.
              Allan
              Hi guys,

I have a question about the French Fourragere? As Allan pointed out, the 16th Infantry of the 1st Inf. Div. received this award during WWII. I have three pictures, the 1st is my dad's Ike jacket, 2nd is of a good Co. G, 16th Inf. buddy, Ed Tatara and 3rd is of a 501st PIR paratrooper. As you can see on Ed's and dad's fourregere, they have a single looped cord that goes under the arm, but both the French and Belgian fourregere of the 501st paratrooper's have additional cords that are draped on the outside of the sleeve? Were there different grades or levels for the French version? Why the differences in number of cords? Did the French supply U.S. soldiers with this award or were they private purchase items?

Gary

Dad's Co. G, 16th Inf. "Ike"
              Attached Files

Comment

Ed Tatara, Co. G., 16th Inf.
                Attached Files

Comment

Forgot to ask, but does anyone know exactly what action 16th Infantry earned their French Fourregere for during WWII? Was it Normandy?

Gary

501st PIR
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here is my "rebuild" of my Dad's Ike. You can look at ten pictures and see ten different ways they are displayed. It looks like uniformity was not a priority.

Greg
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic
                    Sgt. Mahlon E. Sebring, 82nd ABN, 319th Glider Field Arty. A Battery - Normandy to Berlin

As it was their duty to defend our freedom, so it becomes our duty to honor their service.

Comment

Originally posted by GLM
                      Forgot to ask, but does anyone know exactly what action 16th Infantry earned their French Fourregere for during WWII? Was it Normandy?

Gary
                      Croix de Guerre with Palm, "Kasserine" (1 Jan-30 Apr 1943) and Croix de Guerre with Palm, "Normandy" (6 June 1644). Fourragere pursuant to DA General Order 43-50.

Not just 16th Infantry; the entire division (less maybe some units not in both places).

Comment

Croix de Guerre with Palm, "Kasserine" (1 Jan-30 Apr 1943):
                        An elite unit, heir of the noblest traditions of the U.S. 1st Infantry Division, which covered itself with glory during the war of 1914-18. Placed under the command of General JUIN, Chief of the French Army Detachment, at the beginning of the Tunisian Campaign in 1943, distinguished itself in the Ouseltia valley, supporting effectively the French 19th A.C., and repulsing a strong German offensive. In March 1943, it received the shock of the enemy offensive at Kasserine, and after hard fighting, stopped the German armor and took successively Gafsa and El Guettar, at the price of great sacrifices. In April 1943, it strongly attacked near Beja and menaced Mateur in such a way that at the beginning of May, Mateur fell, opening the way to Tunis.
                        Croix de Guerre with Palm, "Normandy" (6 June 1644).
                        An elite unit which landed on the beachs of Colleville, 6 June 1944, in spite of stubborn resistance of the coastal fortifications and of the enemy reinforcements. In the afternoon of the same day it seized the crest overhanging the beaches and, pushing toward the interior, occupied strategic positions in spite of the furious German counterattacks. In spite of its heavy losses, it succeeded in establishing and consolidating a strong bridgehead, thus contributing to the decisive victory of Normandy.
                        No separate citation for the fourragere.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Danner
                          Regarding the French WW2 fourragere, the main recipients were the units of the 1st Infantry Division, 3rd Infantry Division, 4th Armored Division and 82nd Airborne Division. Among more famous units that did not qualify were the 101st Airborne and the 2nd Ranger Battalion.
                          The 79th Infantry Division also received the fourragere to the CdG.

The 753rd Medium Tank Battalion received 3 Croix de Guerre (plus the fourragere):

Croix de Guerre 1939-45 with Palm, "Central Italy"
                          Croix de Guerre 1939-45 with Palm, "Vosges"
                          Croix de Guerre 1939-45 with Gilt Star, "Italy"

Comment

Let's not forget the Marines who were attached to the 2nd Inf Div in WWI.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X