Help with WW1 89th Division uniform patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with WW1 89th Division uniform patch

I just bought the unit marked 89th helmet, now deciding on if I want the uniform that went with it, the seller sent me a pic of the 89th division patch. Seller says the C in the middle is for colorado (that is were soldier was from) I think it means C battery. I am not a uniform guy at all but really hate to break up the set. Can anyone help me with what the C stands for? The patch on the lower half is included with deal, what is the differance if any of the two patches, why would the soldier have two? Sorry about all the questions but uniform patches just are not my thing.
    Thanks!
    wade
    Attached Files

Originally posted by wdphll
    I just bought the unit marked 89th helmet, now deciding on if I want the uniform that went with it, the seller sent me a pic of the 89th division patch. Seller says the C in the middle is for colorado (that is were soldier was from) I think it means C battery. I am not a uniform guy at all but really hate to break up the set. Can anyone help me with what the C stands for? The patch on the lower half is included with deal, what is the differance if any of the two patches, why would the soldier have two? Sorry about all the questions but uniform patches just are not my thing.
    Thanks!
    wade
    Wade,
    The red in the bottom of the "W" indicates he was an Artilleryman, the "C" would indicate battery "C". In WW1 there was no standardization to patches, most were locally or unit made. It is not at all unusual to see a WW1 soldiers kit having differant styles of patch for the same unit. The one sewn on the uniform in your picture is a really nice 89th probably french or British made. Hope this helps,
    Garth

Comment

It helped alot, thank you very much!

Wade

Comment

Don't split up the set~!
        Its very tough to find a painted helmet and patched uniform to the same soldier
        http://militarycollectorshq.com/

sigpic

Comment

Def. don't split the set! Deals like this don't show up very often..you'll kick yourself later if you do!

Best Regards,
          Jason

Comment

Never split it! Here are some more 89th patches for your perusal. Although not nearly as nice as the one you have!

Comment

A few 89th helmets as well.

Comment

The middle helmet is named. A. Selewoncuk 3HQ 305.

Comment

Very nice display of 89th uniforms and helmets. I will do my best to keep it all together. Hopefully I can post some pics with it all together again in the near future.

Wade

Looking for WW1 88th Division Helmets and uniforms.

Comment

Here is some information on 89th inf patches I recieved years ago.

$-shell
                    Lt blue = 177th Infantry Brigade
                    Dk blue = 178th Infantry Brigade
                    Orange = Signal Battalion
                    Purple/white outline = Supply train
                    White = Sanitary train or Medical corps
                    Lt blue/Red = 341st MG Battalion
                    Dk blue/Red = 343rd MG Battalion
                    Red = 164th Field artillery
                    No color = Headquarters

A = white = Best company or battery in battalion
                    B = white = Best battalion in regiment
                    C = white = Best regiment in brigade
                    D = white = Best brigade in division

Taken from December 1919 National Geographic and History of the 89th Division.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X