Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with combat knifes

Hello All,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>

I picket these up at a farm in the Belgian Ardennes last week. The owner said his father kept these knifes and bayonets as souvenir of the battle of the Bulge and I have no reasons to doubt his words. Although there was also a post war US helmet (mobile chinstrap fittings) that he claimed to be from the battle……????? So, maybe it is not totally true….Can someone help me with the brass handle knife and the “Case” marked one? I’ve never seen these before.<o></o>

Thank you.<o></o>

Marc<o></o>
    Attached Files

detail brass knife
    Attached Files

Comment

US knife....
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hello Marc,

I could be way wrong but the bronze/brass handle knife could be a Fairbrairn
          British Commando knife or an OSS Stiletto and the other is a V-42 Stiletto as used by the FSSF and others. As for them being original I think I should leave that up to someone else more qualified in that area. If they are real that was a very,very nice find.

Charlie

Comment

Hello Marc.

A very nice find, the middle knife, the one marked "Case"" is a very desireable and expensive Case V-42 used vy the FSSF during WWII. The sheath looks to be a cut down original. These knives are always in great demand to collectors and depending on condition can bring a large amount of money.According to some books only the first 500 of these knives were numbered such as yours is, nice find. Do you have any information as to how the owner acquired all these knives? The brass handled knife is a Fairbairn Sykes type, 2nd Pattern British commando knife. You can e-mail me for more information.

Gerry

Comment

Marc,

The "Case" is a V-42 used by FSSF during WWII. Can you tell me if the handle is leather or metal? Looks like metal from your photos? If leather, it appears to have twice as many inserts as the original V-42 I owned 10+ years ago, but there are variations known to exist. Could also be a modified grip? Original variations are also know to exist with two different number of grooves in the thumb grip, so don't worry if someone tells you yours has too many or not enough. The scabbard top has been shortened, but this was done by many FSSF men. Mine was cut down too. If original, a very valuable fighting knife, but they have been faked. I traded mine to a knife collecting friend for $2500. value and that was at least ten years ago.

Gary

Comment

Hi Marc,

The handle looks to be leather in your pictures and it is an original grip, the value of your knife depends a grest deal on the length and condition of the blade. These knives had an original blade length of 7-5/16 when issued to the forcemen. Because of the needle point they would be rounded and retipped by the forcemen so that they would not be so likely to snap off the tip. The amount of blueing on the blade, the length of the blade and the lack of pitting on the blade would determine its value on the open market.

Gerry
                Last edited by teltec01; 06-14-2005, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I can't speak as the the authenticity of the V-42, but the other is an early F-S style, a Type II, I believe. It is not an OSS Stilletto. The OSS Stilletto's hand checkering went all the way to the cross guard. It is a sterile (unmarked) knife. Also, the sheath is a typical F-S issue. The OSS knife was issued with a "Pancake Flapper" sheath, which was actually, in fact a kitchen spatula! War time extingencies I guess!
                    Last edited by Chris_Werner; 06-13-2005, 05:25 PM.
                    "Activity! Activity! Speed! I greet you."
                    -Napoleon to Massena, advancing on Landshut, April 18, 1809

Comment

Here is a original WWII issue OSS Stiletto. This baby is mine, and is the prize of my collection. (Until I get that almost mint, 99% blue remaining, FJ Take down gravity knife.)

Notice the spatula sheath. A good survival tool for turning those griddle cakes when cooking breakfast for the Free French.
                      This sheath has been trimmed (narrrowed) by its previous owner for comfort, a not uncommon field modification.
                      Attached Files
                      "Activity! Activity! Speed! I greet you."
                      -Napoleon to Massena, advancing on Landshut, April 18, 1809

Comment

Hello All,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>

Thank you for the help! I will certainly tread the US knife with more respect! 2500$… Wow, Looks like US militaria is catching up with the German stuff prices…<o></o>

Here a few more pictures of the knife
                        Attached Files

Comment

The blade has (as far as I can see) not been shortened and most of the bleu finish is still present.
                          Attached Files

Comment

What is the purpose of the spike , I supose it will go troug the scull when hit on the head??
                            Attached Files

Comment

The other “commando” knife is indeed British; I did not see the arrow at first.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>

Marc<o></o>
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X