Armor Patch Collectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armor Patch Collectors

Does anyone have a list or link on armored units serving during WWII? I'm having trouble finding a concise list of battalions and regiments. My concern is what units were actually issued numbered patches. I want to collect only authentic patches from WWII.

Another question for collectors: how do you guys feel about authentic patches that have had numbers added? I read a portion of an article from an old Trading Post, and it would appear there were only a few battalions that were issued with numbered patches.

Was the 306th issued a numbered patch as I have seen several on evilbay.

Thanks for any help here.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Issued or added on?

Comment

Rev:

Comment

Some Sources

Originally posted by Panzerman
        Does anyone have a list or link on armored units serving during WWII?
        Try Shelby Stanton's WWII Order of Battle-- all of the Armored units should be in there.

Originally posted by Panzerman
        I'm having trouble finding a concise list of battalions and regiments. My concern is what units were actually issued numbered patches. I want to collect only authentic patches from WWII.
        This website is actually pretty good (and the corresponding book):
        http://www.vetshome.com/

Also, the "American Military Patch Guide" by Morgan & Thurman has a list of the standard number patches, but no info on period. Schiffer is coming out with a book covering Armored patches as well. I would suggest joining ASMIC, (http://www.asmic.org) or at the very least, get their back issues coving armored patches.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Jim,
          The patch you showed is for the 3rd Battalion of the 16th Armored Regiment, not the 316th Battalion. It is also post WWII as is easily identified by the AG 44 green border instead of the OD border on WWII examples.
          As for the numbers, many of the seperate battalions came into being after WWII and so those would not be a truly WWII patch, though it looks like a duck and smells like a duck.
          You have to be careful on the hand embroidered numbered patches. many of them were only made in that manner, and they are quite easy to fake if someone wants to take the time to do it. I would say that if you want to include them, just don't spend a lot of money on them, or buy attributed pieces.
          My two cents.
          Allan

Comment

Hi Andy,

Thanks, I've heard Stanton's book is quite good and have already been pricing it. I'll check out the website. Do you happen to know when the Schiffer book is coming out??

Allan,

Yep, I was a little worried about that one. Yes, I knew it was the 3rd battalion of the 16 regiment, just didn't know if it was legit. I was asking about battalions in general. I suppose I could go into the various orders of battle of the websites, I was hoping for a quick fix with a general listing. Do you happen to know if the 306th was given numbered patches? I'm told it was a heavy tank battalion.

Thanks guys for your help. It's appreciated.

Comment

Andy,

Just checked out the vets website you posted. Very nice, and I discovered the patch I posted was worn during WWII. The book though is VERY expensive.

Thanks again.

Comment

Jim, here is a page that lists the ETO order of battle, including commands, organisation, and attachments and detachments. It has a pretty comprehensive list of Armored units.

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/documents.../ETOOB-TOC.htm

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

I don't know about the Schiffer book, but "Emblems of Honor" by Keller (who used to work with Schiffer) is VERY good, and more than worth the $50 price.

Here is a link to a copy listed on ebay, it gives some info on it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Vance

Comment

Here is an Armored patch that I picked up in a lot last year; It is printed with the numerals 713. The 713 was the Battalion of flame-throwing Shermans on Okinawa.

Comment

AllenH is quite correct regarding these battalion numbered patches. Difficult to attribute to ww2 vintage or if even original because they apparently did not factory produce most of these in the war. Guys sometimes did this themselves or had someone embroider them on, but very easy to fake!
                      They normally wore plain unumbered patches.

Conrad

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Schroeder
                        Jim, here is a page that lists the ETO order of battle, including commands, organisation, and attachments and detachments. It has a pretty comprehensive list of Armored units.

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/documents.../ETOOB-TOC.htm
                        Thanks for the link Mark. Into my favorites it goes.

Jason

Comment

Thanks guys for the great information!!!

It's fun learning something new, and your help is very much appreciated. I'm afraid these patches are going to be as addictive as the EK's, only a lot more affordable!!

Comment

Originally posted by vzemke
                            I don't know about the Schiffer book, but "Emblems of Honor" by Keller (who used to work with Schiffer) is VERY good, and more than worth the $50 price.
                            That is indeed the book I was refering to; I thought it was published by Schiffer. I don't think publisher was stated in the auction.

Panzerman: Even though the ETO Order of Battle is listed on line, I think Stanton's book is worth buying. Just keep your eyes open on eBay. I think I paid $35.00 for mine, and I that may have included shipping. For some reason, his WWII book sells for less than his Vietnam Order of Battle.

I like Allan's comment, too -- don't spend too much per patch , otherwise buy attributed pieces -- good advice considering how difficult it can be to date American patches.

Comment

This patch I got in a bag of patches all of which were WWII (except 1 WWI)

It's not the best provedence but I believe this to be an original 771st Bn embroidered patch. The 771 doesn't appear to have been hand done.
                              Chuck
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X