Malta cross on relic US para (?) helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malta cross on relic US para (?) helmet

This helmet was found in the branches of a tree in a lost valley near Peira Cava in southern France, where the 517th paratroopers were fighting a static battle for several months. This, and the fact that is seams to have camo paint on it make me think this is actually a paratrooper helmet.
    What I want to know is if anyone could have any ideas about what the malta cross represents? There also seams to be a number 69 under the cross. I may have an unwholesome idea about what this means

Here is the malta cross and 69
    Attached Files

The front with what appears to be a large streak of camo paint. All the paratroopers is southern France had camo helmets and equipment.
    Attached Files

Comment

More of the front.
      Attached Files

Comment

Other side of the front
        Attached Files

Comment

And finaly, the rear end.
          Attached Files

Comment

Jean-Loup,
            I really like the helmet, but am 99.9% sure that it is NOT paratrooper.
            I believe that the insignia etched on the front of the helmet is that of the Distinctive Insignia of the 65th Infantry Regiment, and the number below is not a "69" but rather a "65."

It is still a fascinating helmet.
            Allan

Comment

Hmm, was the 65th regiment ever in southern France? Was the Malta cross their insignia?
              I am not particularly hoping for it to be a para helmet, but thats what probabilities strongly indicate for the moment. To my knoleage the only other troops to have been in that area were French troops, and the famous Nissei Japanese American division.
              JL

Comment

Sh1t, you are right. This makes the helmet even more interesting in my eyes. I never knew that there was a Portorican division. This forum is incredible...
                I went into a bar at Peira Cava, and asked the owner if he ever found any militaira around. He said in the ten years he had lived there he had usualy only found ammo, but had recently found this helmet. He traded it for a "Pastis" pitcher.

Look what a quick search of the web gave, all the chips falling into place:
                "On September 22, 1944, the 65th Infantry landed in France and was committed to action on the Maritime Alps at Peira Cava. They suffered a total of forty seven battle casualties. "

I though this was just another one of those "maybe" helmets, and it turns out to be an extremely interesting piece of history. Thanks Allan, and thanks to the internet...

Comment

Here is a brief history of the unit according to a site:

"

The 65th Infantry Regiment nicknamed "The Borinqueneers"; was an all volunteer Puerto Rican Regiment of the U.S. Army whose motto was Honor and Fidelity and which participated in World War I, World War II, and the Korean War.

Coat of arms of the 65th Infantry Regiment.

Puerto Ricans have participated in every major American military conflict, from the American Revolution when volunteers from Puerto Rico, Cuba and Mexico fought the British in Massachusetts in 1775 under the command of Captain General Torre, to the present day conflict in Iraq. However, it was during the Korean War that Puerto Ricans suffered the most casualties as members of an all Hispanic volunteer unit. One of the problems that they faced was the difference in languages, the common foot soldier spoke only Spanish, while the commanding officers were mostly English speaking Americans. Another problem that they faced was the climate factor. However, despite the hardships suffered by the members of the 65th Infantry, Puerto Ricans were to serve with pride and honor."

Comment

I just love it when all the pieces magicaly fit together years after I find a piece. Just like for this helmet. I found it in Courme a few km from Bar sur Loup, and saw that on the front, the name "Moles" was written. A French person also added on "Souvenir du 24 aout 1944". That didnt make any sense back then.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Jean-Loup; 06-08-2005, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Then five years latter, I find this map, and I find out that Moles was a soldier from I company, thus third Battalion, and that they were in the vicinity of Bar sur Loup and Courme on august 24th. Everything corresponds exactly, just like for this Puerto Rican helmet...

"On the 24th all three battalions occupied high ground north of Grasse. A 3rd Battalion patrol to Le Bar-sur-Loup found an enemy detachment preparing to blow up a bridge over the river. Despite the patrol's best efforts, the bridge was blown and the enemy detachment pulled out. The 3rd Battalion outposted the high ground on the far side of the Loup. Another day of hard marching brought the rifle battalions to Coursegoules, Bezaudun, and Le Broc, 10 to 12 miles northeast of Grasse. The 517th had far out-distanced the SSF on right, who had a hard fight in crossing the Loup at Villeneuve. "
                      Attached Files

Comment

Interestingly, I had posted this thread back when I found the helmet: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=helmet+malta
                        Maybe a moderator can change the title of this thread to something more appropriate.
                        Sorry for posting so many replies, but this discovery exited me...
                        JL

Comment

Congrats to Allan and Jean-Loup for this most interesting info. After so many years it is truly exciting to discover more about these battle field found helmets!

Comment

I have to admit, I am a bit disapointed by the lack of responses in this thread. It seems like in US militaria, if its not from the 101 airborne, then nobady cares... A bit sad.

Comment

My goodness Jean Loup, you said the dirty word! Not 101st or SSF etc. I personally have had the "elite unit" mentality that pervades this hobby up to my neck!
                              I think that this helmet and story is facinating and a real revelation to see that apparently the 65th Inf. used painted insignia on their helmets.
                              This has to far more rare than any para helmet and possibly unique. Also, the apparent camo scheme is surprising as I had thought this to be more or less limited to the para. Now we know otherwise for sure. If one guy had this on his helmet, surely some others of the 65th must have done this too.
                              I have to wonder how it got up a tree though?

Conrad

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X