11th airborne oval question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11th airborne oval question

This weekend I picked up several jackets that had belonged to a soldier in the 11th airborne division named Fred Moore. The jackets appear to be the Korean war era HBT jackets. They have plastic buttons on them and it also has his name on a white tape over his left breast pocket. The strange thing about these jackets is they have a red, white , and blue jump oval sewn onto the jacket above his name. In the middle of the jump oval is an embroidered white jump wing. On the left sleeve is sewn the 11th airborne division patch. Ever hear of them doing anything like that? With the grouping also came a tan dress shirt with an 11th airborne patch on the sleeve and a jump oval above the pocket. This oval is grey bordered around a maroon/red background. What kind of jump oval is that one? It also came with a 1946 dated Ike jacket that has been tailored. The front pockets have been sewn down. The buttons on the front have been removed and a zipper has been sewn in. In the deal I got 7 jackets(one of which is a WW2 tan shirt with a theatre made CBI patch) for $30 dollars. I think I did fairly well. If anyone could help me with the jump ovals or any information on Fred Moore(Corporal and Staff Sgt ranks), it would certainly be appreciated.

The oval for Headquarters, 11th Airborne Division was a blue oval with a red inner border and white outer border. I would expect to see them sewn to the uniform. The example with the wing sewn to the center of the oval was designed for the fatigue uniform. Once the patch was sewn on, one didn't have to worry about losing the wing, or having it ride under equipment straps, parachute harnesses etc.
    The oval with the red center and grey border is that of the 503rd PIR. The 503rd was assigned to the 11th Airborne Division in the 1950's.
    Allan

Originally posted by NKOMO
    This weekend I picked up several jackets that had belonged to a soldier in the 11th airborne division named Fred Moore. The jackets appear to be the Korean war era HBT jackets. They have plastic buttons on them and it also has his name on a white tape over his left breast pocket. The strange thing about these jackets is they have a red, white , and blue jump oval sewn onto the jacket above his name. In the middle of the jump oval is an embroidered white jump wing. On the left sleeve is sewn the 11th airborne division patch. Ever hear of them doing anything like that? With the grouping also came a tan dress shirt with an 11th airborne patch on the sleeve and a jump oval above the pocket. This oval is grey bordered around a maroon/red background. What kind of jump oval is that one? It also came with a 1946 dated Ike jacket that has been tailored. The front pockets have been sewn down. The buttons on the front have been removed and a zipper has been sewn in. In the deal I got 7 jackets(one of which is a WW2 tan shirt with a theatre made CBI patch) for $30 dollars. I think I did fairly well. If anyone could help me with the jump ovals or any information on Fred Moore(Corporal and Staff Sgt ranks), it would certainly be appreciated.

Comment

My next question is would these uniforms (HBT's) have been used in combat? Is there anyway I could find out if Fred Moore saw combat in Korea? Any help appreciated!

Arch

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X