509th? Oval, Wing and Hat Patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

509th? Oval, Wing and Hat Patch

Hey all: I just picked up these 2 items from a pal who said they came togather...both have been sewn on, show some wear, and I like the look.

I'm guessing the oval is for the 509th? Wings are hollow and marked Sterling.

Opinions on the unit would be great, thanks!

Skip
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

/

/
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Skip,

My guess would be 502 PIR. See Mark Bando's website for 101 ovals. I would also guess that if you look close at the wings that they have a single shield of Meyer.
        Leif

Comment

Ah!

Ah! I see now, I had not looked there. I did not think it was the 502nd because on p.111 of the book Geronimo! by B. Rentz, the dark blue was on the edge...but it looks like they used both a dark and light blue center and edge colors according to Bando's examples.

Oh, you are right...there is a Meyer shield!

Thanks!

Comment

Skip,
            My bet is that the oval is neither 502nd nor is it 509th. I am really not sure where the ID of this oval came from that calls it a 509 oval, but you sure don't find them in the possession of the 509th veterans. It also isn't 502nd. THe light blue border of a 502nd oval is a little darker and has an iridescence to it that can't really be described, but once you have seen one, you will never confuse the two again.
            Most of the ovals that i have encountered among 509 veterans have either been theater made or have been black with a white border, just like those worn by the 508th.
            My two cents,
            Allan

Originally posted by Skip Pickett
            Ah! I see now, I had not looked there. I did not think it was the 502nd because on p.111 of the book Geronimo! by B. Rentz, the dark blue was on the edge...but it looks like they used both a dark and light blue center and edge colors according to Bando's examples.

Oh, you are right...there is a Meyer shield!

Thanks!

Comment

Ok...

OK, back to square one. What unit would it be then? It sure looks close to the 502nd on Bando's page.

Thanks,
              Skip

Originally posted by Allan H.
              Skip,
              My bet is that the oval is neither 502nd nor is it 509th. I am really not sure where the ID of this oval came from that calls it a 509 oval, but you sure don't find them in the possession of the 509th veterans. It also isn't 502nd. THe light blue border of a 502nd oval is a little darker and has an iridescence to it that can't really be described, but once you have seen one, you will never confuse the two again.
              Most of the ovals that i have encountered among 509 veterans have either been theater made or have been black with a white border, just like those worn by the 508th.
              My two cents,
              Allan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X