An underappreciated Airborne reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An underappreciated Airborne reference

I was rearranging the bookshelf and came across this and thought I would share some info. This book is titled USA Airborne and is a 50th Anniversary publication put out by Turner pubs in 1990. It is a MASSIVE hardcover of over 500 pages with unit histories, history of the US Army Airborne, commanders and decorated soldiers, etc. It's not a "pinks & greens" kind of picture book though the maps and wartime illustrations are great. It covers WWII through Korea and Vietnam. It really is a must have reference if you collect US Paratrooper / Army / Airborne. Incredibly few collectors seem to know about it? When I searched ABEBOOKS I found several copies from various sellers priced at or under $50.00. I really urge you to get a copy.
    Here's mine, rather a cherished possession, it is the presentation copy to Colonel Julian Cook, 504th DSC recipient at Arnhem. Obtained from his widow with other Cook material sometime back.
    Last edited by wartimecollectables; 06-05-2005, 05:01 AM.

I want to echo Andrew's comments. This book is a real gem and I would say that it is $50 well spent if you acquire one.
    Allan

Originally posted by wartimecollectables
    I was rearranging the bookshelf and came across this and thought I would share some info. This book is titled USA Airborne and is a 50th Anniversary publication put out by Turner pubs in 1990. It is a MASSIVE hardcover of over 500 pages with unit histories, history of the US Army Airborne, commanders and decorated soldiers, etc. It's not a "pinks & greens" kind of picture book though the maps and wartime illustrations are great. It covers WWII through Korea and Vietnam. It really is a must have reference if you collect US Paratrooper / Army / Airborne. Incredibly few collectors seem to know about it? when I searched ABEBOOKS I found several copies from various sellers priced at or under $50.00. I really urge you to get one a copy.
    Here's mine, rather a cherished possession it is the presentation copy to Colonel Julian Cook, 504th DSC recipient at Arnhem. Obtained from his widow with other Cook material sometime back.

Comment

Summer, 1990 there was a 50th anniversary salute with parade held in DC.

There were a LOT of airborne troopers present. All American units and eras represented.

Unit associations marched together.

The 173rd was particularly impressive.

I have some coins and patches from the event.
      MLP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X