Older and Newer Navigator Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Denis,

I have seen this document and in fact used this article to try and find these specific changes in the uniform code concerning wings that are described. However, I was never able to find them--that means little of course (my lack of success by no means indicates that I am correct!).

However, I know for a fact that the first USN wings (the ones shown on page 656 that states were never issued) were actually worn by USN pilots very early in WWI. Somewhere I have an article written by Duncan Campbell that shows a photograph of these wings on a uniform of a USN pilot and period photographs of a bunch of pilots on their way to England wearing this wing.

So based on that and some potential other errors in this document (which seems to be the only basis for the silver USN observer wings that I can find), makes me wonder if this is, in fact, true. It would be nice to at least see a copy of the changes in the uniform code or at the very least a wing associated to a naval observer during that time period that is silver colored.

At the very least, silver USN pilot wings are relatively common. I have 3 in my collection and I haven't really been looking for them. Most of the USN collectors I know have one or two and I see them pop up on eBay periodically. On the other hand, I only have 1 USN Observer wing like the one shown at the start of the post. They seem to be much rarer. So why is it that vintage silver USN wings that would have been approved only for about 1-2 years MORE common than the other style?

I have other problems with progression of the observer wings. In WWI, the observer (like in the Air Corps) used a half wing and an "O". Then, during the late 1920's to the 40's, the observer wing (like the Army Air Forces) was full sized with an "O". However, according to the article, for only 2 years, the Navy decided to use a PILOT wing (only changing its color) to designate a non-pilot rating? Something they have never done before or since. Even an airship pilot or an enlisted pilot in the navy wore the standard pilot wing. Basically, if you fly in the Navy, you wear a navy pilot wing. If you don't fly, you wear something else. The only silver wing is the combat aircrewman's and they don't fly (by that I mean they dont pilot an aircraft).

Again, I may be wrong--sadly I am frequently missinformed and mistaken. In my defense, at the very least I have tried to find these changes but have not been successful. But, if some else has found them, then that would be great.

P. Frost

Comment

Here's an odd one ... an early USAF observer wing in bullion on blue wool

Scott
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pfrost
        At the very least, silver USN pilot wings are relatively common. I have 3 in my collection and I haven't really been looking for them. Most of the USN collectors I know have one or two and I see them pop up on eBay periodically. On the other hand, I only have 1 USN Observer wing like the one shown at the start of the post. They seem to be much rarer. So why is it that vintage silver USN wings that would have been approved only for about 1-2 years MORE common than the other style?
        P. Frost
        Hey Guys !!

I'm not a wing collector per se, but, I was under the impression that Navy silver wings (at least in WWII) were worn by Navy enlisted pilots !?! I was also told that this WWII Navy silver wing was fairly uncommon. Is this true ??

Thanks,

Vic

Comment

Hello,

Enlisted pilots also wore the gold navy wings not the silver wings. Also airship pilots also wore the gold navy wings. Balloon pilots wore the 1/2 wing.

In fact, while not common, silver colored navy wings are not that uncommon--especially in regards to a wing that was "supposedly" only authorized for a couple of years in 1920.

P Frost

Originally posted by vicjoy1945
          Hey Guys !!

I'm not a wing collector per se, but, I was under the impression that Navy silver wings (at least in WWII) were worn by Navy enlisted pilots !?! I was also told that this WWII Navy silver wing was fairly uncommon. Is this true ??

Thanks,

Vic

Comment

Hello,

Enlisted pilots also wore the gold navy wings not the silver wings. Also airship pilots also wore the gold navy wings. Balloon pilots wore the 1/2 wing.

In fact, while not common, silver colored navy wings are not that uncommon--especially in regards to a wing that was "supposedly" only authorized for a couple of years in 1920.

P Frost
            Hi P Frost !!

Thanks for the clarification...I have a nice grouping to a WWII enlisted Navy pilot who flew during the war...most notebly flying observation during the Battle of Midway. The grouping includes his medals, log books, photos, documents, leather name tags, etc, etc. The grouping also has his last Navy uniform and visor cap...he retired as a CMDR. Of course, the wings on this uniform are gold, but, he was commissioned by that time. He was a member of the "Silver Eagles Association" which was made up of WWII Navy NAPs.

Thanks again,

Vic

Comment

Originally posted by GLM
              Dennis,

And some beautiful wings they are! I think those are the nicest NAO wings I've seen and my guess is straight-up WWII.

Here is a 2" shirt size, pinback USAF Nav. wing made by Meyer. Hallmark is the N.S. Meyer, Inc. with shield. The pin only retracks about 75 degrees, so I don't think these are some of the new remakes by Meyer?

Gary
              These USAF Nav./Observer wings were available in pin back, or clutch back to service personnel until at least the 1970's. Considering that thousnads were made over several decades, I would wonder why NS Meyer (or anyone else for that matter), would bother to "remake", them? The same design is in use today, but only with a shiney plated finish. These are also known as "WISSO", wings.

Comment

I thought the USAF replaced the "O" observer wing with the "smashed bug" Nav/Observer wing in the 1950s...?

Scott

Comment

Hi Vic,

I have a similar type group from a guy who flew float planes off the battleships and cruisers during the war as an enlisted pilot. I have some of his squadron patches and gold USN Gemsco marked wings. I asked him about the silver wings idea and he was pretty clear that they wore only the gold wings. You can always contact the USN enlisted pilot organization and ask them (I did) and I am pretty sure you will get the same reply. In fact, they seem to be a bit touchy about the very idea!

Best

Patrick

Originally posted by vicjoy1945
                  Hi P Frost !!

Thanks for the clarification...I have a nice grouping to a WWII enlisted Navy pilot who flew during the war...most notebly flying observation during the Battle of Midway. The grouping includes his medals, log books, photos, documents, leather name tags, etc, etc. The grouping also has his last Navy uniform and visor cap...he retired as a CMDR. Of course, the wings on this uniform are gold, but, he was commissioned by that time. He was a member of the "Silver Eagles Association" which was made up of WWII Navy NAPs.

Thanks again,

Vic

Comment

Originally posted by Herc1
                    I thought the USAF replaced the "O" observer wing with the "smashed bug" Nav/Observer wing in the 1950s...?

Scott
                    Yea, I don't have the date with me right now, but I believe the "smashed bug", replaced both the WWII style Navigator & Observer sometime around 1950. I have a 1950 edition of the "Airman's Guide", and it shows the old Navigator & the current one. Like all things in the military, there is a wear-out period & over laping time frame when the old & new stuff gets used together.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Ragan
                      These USAF Nav./Observer wings were available in pin back, or clutch back to service personnel until at least the 1970's. Considering that thousnads were made over several decades, I would wonder why NS Meyer (or anyone else for that matter), would bother to "remake", them? The same design is in use today, but only with a shiney plated finish. These are also known as "WISSO", wings.
                      Lee,

It's my understanding that just prior to NS Meyer going belly up, the company produced their entire line of wings (including pre WWII & WWII) with the original NS Meyer and single Meyer shield logos for the collecting market, just like on these post-1947 Nav. wings. The sterling marks were left off of these remakes and the pins have a 180 degree flop. Original period made Meyer wing's pins shouldn't retrack more than 90 degrees, so that's all I was implying on the Nav. wings. When I see this specific embossed logo on Meyer wings, they automatically become suspect to me. Add a stamped sterling mark and pin flop, forget about it! Those would be the ones you see every day on eBay. I'm not an avid wing collector, other than the WWII sterling, clutchback "issue" wings and the only pair of Meyer wings I own that I am certain are original is a pair I received from a local WWII vet B17 waist gunner and POW. Those wings are pinback (pin retracks approx. 75 degrees) with stamped Meyer shield and sterling only hallmark.

Regards,
                      Gary

Comment

Hello,

P Frost
                        This might sound like a stupid question, but with Navy Enlisted Pilots wearing their wings on rating badges on the sleeve, when did they wear the metal wings? I've seen period photos of Marine Enlisted Pilots wearing metal wings, but never Navy?

Gary

Comment

See #17 - These are from SD Aerospace Museum
                          Attached Files

Comment

Love the SD Aerospace Museum! I remember when the first SDAM burned down . My mom's picture is in the women's aviation section of the current museum - she was quite the aviatrix in her day (fixed wing & helo).

Scott

Comment

Hi Scott: It is a great museum. Can't believe the old one burned. What a loss. What is your moms name? Did her stuff burn?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Does anybody know how to fool the rangefinder on digital cameras. I had better luck with an old fashioned camera?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X