US Helmet - WW II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Helmet - WW II?

Hello folks. I picked up two US helmets in Argentina, pictures to follow. How can you tell if these are WWII or later (Korea, etc)?

Here are some pictures, let me know if you need some particular part photographed.

Thanks!

Helmet 1
    Attached Files
    Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Liner helmet 1, a little destroyed...
    Attached Files
    Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Helmet #2
      Attached Files
      Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Inside Helmet #2
        Attached Files
        Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Hi Seba, there is a good thread about WW2 US M1 helmets on this forum from the last week or so. Looking at your lids I would say the second one is a late WW2 example. The first looks like a post war example with a plastic style liner (?) and a rim with the split at the rear, as opposed to a wartime one with the split at the front.
          Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks, I read that thread. Helmet #1 has the crimp in the front, not the back, and has a liner that is fiberglass, and green.

Helmet #2 has a the crimp in the back, and has a liner that has been repainted but under the paint you can see that it was a camouflage color. It is also fiberglass (broken in a couple of places so you can really see the inside of it).

What do you think?

This picture is liner #2
            Attached Files
            Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

And here is a closer look at the liner from helmet #1
              Attached Files
              Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

35 and 40 pesos, about 10 dollars each, of off an antique dealer and a street antique (junk) vendor.
                Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Seba
                  WWII helmet liners will have an insignia eyelet in the front. Inside the liner at the top there will be a small manufactures logo. One is a W in a circle (Westinghouse) another is an S in a circle (Seaman paper company)
                  Joe

Comment

Thanks Joe, I don't seem to find it though, where should it be, right on the liner? Is it big/small?
                    Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Seba
                      It's very small. Right in the center of the inside top of the liner. Behind the webbing.
                      Joe

Comment

WWII M1 helmets

Both steel shells are of WWII manufacture. You can tell by the stainless steel rim. The liner of helmet # 2 appears to be a WWII item too, though repainted in and out for use in the Argentine Army.
                        Cesar.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X