Piped at the post... nice ebay auctions :o(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piped at the post... nice ebay auctions :o(

Check these out... i was wondering if anybody here got them?
    I was pipped on two of them Ah well one day...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEDW:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEDW%3AIT&rd=1

An last but not least.....

I really hope someone here got this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

It looks like Tom from purplehearts.net picked up the grand prize. I think he is a member here. I would love to hear about these groupings. This whole engraving thing still confuses me. I don’t think I will ever be able to tell what is wartime engraving or post war. I would have said the third grouping is post war but if Tom bid on it must be good.

Comment

Originally posted by NTZ
      It looks like Tom from purplehearts.net picked up the grand prize. I think he is a member here. I would love to hear about these groupings. This whole engraving thing still confuses me. I don’t think I will ever be able to tell what is wartime engraving or post war. I would have said the third grouping is post war but if Tom bid on it must be good.
      Yep, I was the high bidder here. ETO AAF Silver Star groups are pretty rare, and with all the paper (esp. the Hap Arnold letter), it was one I couldn't pass up. I'd rather have this well documented group than the 101st AB Bastogne KIA PH the seller was auctioning, that went for $2100!!

Regarding the engraving, The SS is hand engraved on an angle, which was common when trying to fit a long name on a small planchet. Looks like the engraver didn't quite judge the spacing correctly, and squeezed in the last part of the first name (I've seen worse!!). The PH and AM are small machine engraved, identical to this PH from my collection

:

Comment

I was hoping it was you tom... well if you ever want to send this grouping home to its rightful owner ya know where to find me lol In short I hope you'll give me first refusal if you ever sell it on BTW what was your bid. I was sure I would have got it with $1600
        Last edited by Jim Mooney; 05-19-2005, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know who this seller is? I've been looking at his auctions for a while now (never bid as this isn't what I collect) and he's been selling some amazing groups! The collection that these came from must have been one of the best collections in the US from the stuff he's been peddling.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by NavyFCO
            Does anyone know who this seller is? I've been looking at his auctions for a while now (never bid as this isn't what I collect) and he's been selling some amazing groups! The collection that these came from must have been one of the best collections in the US from the stuff he's been peddling.

Dave
            Dave,
            The groupings are comming out of an estate of a medal collector on the West Coast. I can supply the name to you if you want it. Many of these groupings were in possession of the collector for forty years! The groups are being sold by a friend of the family.
            Allan

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mooney
              I was hoping it was you tom... well if you ever want to send this grouping home to its rightful owner ya know where to find me lol In short I hope you'll give me first refusal if you ever sell it on BTW what was your bid. I was sure I would have got it with $1600
              Well, let's put it this way--- I cut it very close!!

Comment

Tom

Nice score on the 8th AF KIA SS/AM/PH trio . I think you got it for a very reasonable price. I agree with you, I would rather have this group than the 101st AB PH as well! It is much rarer to find a posthumous Silver Star group to the 8th AF than a 101st AB Posthumous Purple Heart .

Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by kastauffer
                  Tom

Nice score on the 8th AF KIA SS/AM/PH trio . I think you got it for a very reasonable price. I agree with you, I would rather have this group than the 101st AB PH as well! It is much rarer to find a posthumous Silver Star group to the 8th AF than a 101st AB Posthumous Purple Heart .

Kurt
                  Tom
                  Very nice Group. Much nicer than the 101st PH group. Valor document medal groups are to me much nicer than PH groups.
                  Nick

Comment

Originally posted by kastauffer
                    Tom

Kurt
                    The group arrived today, and I've been a scanning fool ever since. Here's a page I made showing about 90% of the group (just some misc. paper and pre-war photos left out)

Frederick W. Tod

Comment

A really nice grouping Enjoy Tom.

Comment

Tom, congrats on this outstanding grouping. I know that this is in good hands. Thanks so much for sharing! A true picture of the service and death of an American hero. All the more meaningful on Memorial Day weekend. Thanks again for sharing all of your "treasures" that I am sure will be well preserved and kept together for future generations.
                        Brian Dentino

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WWII GLIDER INFO/ITEMS...ESPECIALLY 325TH GIR

Comment

Tom,

Excellent!!

Regards,
                          Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X