MilitaryStockholm

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WW2 Trench art ash tray. From a submarine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 Trench art ash tray. From a submarine?

I just got this last month. At first I was thinking it was just another shell converted to an ash tray. I did a quick search on line and didn't find much at first. The head stamp from top to bottom. Above the primer reads N.G.F. and below that is 1943. In line with the primer reads LOT NO 2991. The primer reads 4M on the left arm. 534 on the top arm. The right arm has a box H, LT with a 427 on the bottom line. The bottom arm has MK13 on the top line and the bottom line has a box H 48. Below the primer reads 5in MK.IV MOD.2 25 CAL. Below that reads F.L.R. and J.R.R. Inside, the coins read " Commonwealth of Australia, one penny, 1915.
    Attached Files

Then I found this info.
    5"/25 Caliber Gun

The 5"/25 caliber gun (spoken "five-inch-twenty-five-caliber") entered service as the standard heavy anti-aircraft (AA) gun for United States Washington Naval Treaty cruisers commissioned in the 1920s and 1930s. The goal of the 5"/25 design was to produce a heavy AA gun that was light enough to be rapidly trained manually.[2] The gun was also mounted on pre-World War II battleships and aircraft carriers until replaced by the standard dual-purpose 5"/38 caliber gun, which was derived from the 5"/25 and was similar except for the barrel length. Guns removed from battleships were probably converted for submarine use by late 1943, while a purpose-built variant for submarines was available in mid-1944, and was widely used by them.[3] United States naval gun terminology indicates the gun fired a projectile 5 inches (127 mm) in diameter, and the barrel was 25 calibers long (that is, for a 5" bore and a barrel length of 25 calibers, 5" x 25 = 125", or about 3.2 meters).[4]
    Attached Files

Comment

This type shell and the date along with the Australian coins plus the information point me towards it being from a US submarine. This type shell really doesn't show up in on line search's. I think the reason why these don't show up much is if it is from a submarine deck gun the shell is dumped over board. Even state side target practice they would have tossed these.
      Last edited by p-59a; 05-22-2020, 10:18 PM.

Comment

I took a hard look at the coins. They date 1915, 1917 and 1926. I bring this up for a reason. When I was looking at other trench art shell ashtrays I came across a 5 inch Mark 5 WW2 Navy shell posted by the son of the Vet. The ashtray his dad made had British coins dated 1913. He then noted his dad was born in 1913. I am not saying the coins on mine have the same meaning, but they could have some meaning. I thought it odd the coins were as old as they were. So what I am suggesting is if you have a trench art ashtray with coin holders look at the dates and see if they could have some meaning beyond just being used to hold a cigar or cigarette.
        Last edited by p-59a; 05-23-2020, 12:07 PM.

Comment

It is most likely from a sub, however the shell was probably taken from target practice and the work was done on a sub tender. They had the machinery to do that sort of work while a sub wouldn't.

Originally posted by p-59a View Post
          This type shell and the date along with the Australian coins plus the information point me towards it being from a US submarine. This type shell really doesn't show up in on line search's. I think the reason why these don't show up much is if it is from a submarine deck gun the shell is dumped over board. Even state side target practice they would have tossed these.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Cain View Post
            It is most likely from a sub, however the shell was probably taken from target practice and the work was done on a sub tender. They had the machinery to do that sort of work while a sub wouldn't.
            I'm good with that. That makes sense. I recon one would be too hard pressed for time on a combat patrol to save a spent shell. I assume sub tenders were stationed all over.

Comment

The sub would be in the water but the targets could either be on land or they would float targets as well and try and sink them.
              I'm good with that. Did target practice happen on land or at sea? Honest question as I have no idea. I assume sub tenders were stationed all over.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Cain View Post
                The sub would be in the water but the targets could either be on land or they would float targets as well and try and sink them.
                Thanks Gary!

Comment

Sub tender USS Holland. I never knew subs could be serviced at sea. I always assumed they returned to some base.
                  Attached Files

Comment

My father served aboard the sub tender USS Aegir (AS 23) in the Pacific during WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C. View Post
                      My father served aboard the sub tender USS Aegir (AS 23) in the Pacific during WWII.
                      Scott, have you ever posted about him?

Comment

Scott, have you ever posted about him?
                        No, never have. He was a dental officer aboard ship and never saw combat. Here is the shadow box I made for him. He had my mom's name lightly engraved on his Lt JG collar rank. The item in the upper-right corner is a blank round fired at his funeral in 2004.
                        Attached Files

Comment

No, never have. He was a dental officer aboard ship and never saw combat. Here is the shadow box I made for him. He had my mom's name lightly engraved on his Lt JG collar rank. The item in the upper-right corner is a blank round fired at his funeral in 2004.
                          Very cool!!!!

Comment

That's a wonderful tribute to him.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X