Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting ashtray from battleship USS Tennessee

Hello!

I just recently won this at an auction: a pretty interesting ashtray from the battleship USS Tennessee.

It is pretty bulbous and round looking, but the wording font seems to match the style against other interwar / Second World War ashtrays.

It even comes with a stamp, indicating that the maker of the ashtray was Seacraft Ashtrays. The owner thinks that the stamp of 34 means 1934, which dates this potentially to the interwar era.

I was kind of wondering though what the purpose of this ashtray was in relation to the ship. It's pretty odd when compared to regular Tennessee and even regular ship ashtrays. Could this have been actually used on the ship itself?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Don’t know anything about the ash tray, but 34 is part of the address, not the date.

Comment

Originally posted by ottodog8 View Post
      Don’t know anything about the ash tray, but 34 is part of the address, not the date.
      Oh! Okay.

That being said, the ashtray does look like it is done in the WW2 style - pretty rugged overall.

I kind of doubt it would've been the armored cruiser Tennessee (ashtrays from back then tended to be more elaborate) or the ballistic missile submarine Tennessee (too modern - the submarine was laid down in the 1980s).

So...is it safe to say that this is probably from the legendary battleship of Pearl Harbor fame?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X