Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Jump Wings british made

Hello!!

I need your opinion about this Jump Wings.
    Are they ww2 period? What is your opinion.
    Thank you

https://ibb.co/rGHyvfW
    https://ibb.co/Z81Rv0s

I don't like them very much. The marking is wrong for one, and they are too bright for the other.
    Originally posted by Capazo View Post
    Hello!!

I need your opinion about this Jump Wings.
    Are they ww2 period? What is your opinion.
    Thank you

https://ibb.co/rGHyvfW
    https://ibb.co/Z81Rv0s

Comment

thank you

Comment

It could be okay; a hand inspection is necessary. The finish looks similar to other British made wings I've owned in unused condition. The STERLING mark was used on some British wings.

Comment

I'd suggest this is a recent casting. The in places weak obverse detailing and obvious pockmarks, plus the grinding marks on the reverse and strange finish, all raise serious red flags for me.

Regards
          Mike

Loading the pics so this does not become a useless thread;
          Attached Files
          Regards
          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

I believe (as noted above) that these are fakes. I see a number of flags (marked with red arrows). There are a number of flaws in these wings that probably came from the original castings. this includes a flaw in the shroud lines and the "fusing" of a number of the shroud lines before they reach the bottom of the parachute.

On the back, I see what looks like an obscured JR Gaunt hallmark. The fake/restrikes of the JR Gaunt hallmark will have a slight tilt with the left side being higher than the right. In real vintage Gaunt wings, the hallmark will be level.

Finally, the use of SILVER is incorrect. Most British emblems were not made of sterling silver, rather a white pot metal. If they were sterling, the British used very strict metal quality markings. The mark "Silver" seems to be a good indication for fake.
            Attached Files

Comment

You are absolutely correct about the strict British Sterling marking protocols. However, Hub Zemke had some Colonel Rank insignia, made by Gaunt, that was simply marked STERLING. They are the only pair I have ever seen that were marked that way.

Originally posted by pfrost View Post
              I believe (as noted above) that these are fakes. I see a number of flags (marked with red arrows). There are a number of flaws in these wings that probably came from the original castings. this includes a flaw in the shroud lines and the "fusing" of a number of the shroud lines before they reach the bottom of the parachute.

On the back, I see what looks like an obscured JR Gaunt hallmark. The fake/restrikes of the JR Gaunt hallmark will have a slight tilt with the left side being higher than the right. In real vintage Gaunt wings, the hallmark will be level.

Finally, the use of SILVER is incorrect. Most British emblems were not made of sterling silver, rather a white pot metal. If they were sterling, the British used very strict metal quality markings. The mark "Silver" seems to be a good indication for fake.

Comment

These aren't marked STERLING, they are marked SILVER.

Comment

One should consider that many street vendors that were selling these wings to GIs. There was a war going on, and the standard protocols were often ignored to beat out the big names like Guant, Firmin, and Ludlow. If someone wanted a pair of wings made from a nickel, the local craftsman could turn it out in the time it took you to drink a pint in the pub next store. If GIs wanted sterling silver wings, they could get them, or maybe just marked that way.

The photos look slightly out of focus, so a hand inspection would reveal the truth.

Comment

I know, I am just adding to the general body of knowledge.
                    That's all.

These aren't marked STERLING, they are marked SILVER.

Comment

Frost shows why these are fake quite handily. They were not sold via street seller either, you would go to whichever insignia company you wanted to purchase from.
                      The British Silver laws were NEVER breached during the war. Most British insignia is brass so there would have been no crunch on the staff.

The rules were never relaxed during WWI either.

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                      One should consider that many street vendors that were selling these wings to GIs. There was a war going on, and the standard protocols were often ignored to beat out the big names like Guant, Firmin, and Ludlow. If someone wanted a pair of wings made from a nickel, the local craftsman could turn it out in the time it took you to drink a pint in the pub next store. If GIs wanted sterling silver wings, they could get them, or maybe just marked that way.

The photos look slightly out of focus, so a hand inspection would reveal the truth.

Comment

Gary is correct, there is no evidence that London was full of lonely street vendors who would make insignia for any wayward paratrooper on leave and in between seducing local girls.

The fact is that these wings are not WWII vintage but manipulated castings of well known JR Gaunt fakes that have been around for years. You can't guild that lily or put lipstick on that pig. It is what it is.

Comment

Best response EVER!
                          Gary is correct, there is no evidence that London was full of lonely street vendors who would make insignia for any wayward paratrooper on leave and in between seducing local girls.

The fact is that these wings are not WWII vintage but manipulated castings of well known JR Gaunt fakes that have been around for years. You can't guild that lily or put lipstick on that pig. It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Cain View Post

Best response EVER!
                            Not saying the ones here are legit, but I do know of at least two paratroopers who went into a small shop in London and picked up a set of wings each.

The ones here look pretty bad.

Comment

Yes, the insignia shops were small. So were, and still are, the tailors shops on Savile Row.
                              But the vendors had shops. That is the point.

Originally posted by 6.5 Creedmoor View Post
                              Not saying the ones here are legit, but I do know of at least two paratroopers who went into a small shop in London and picked up a set of wings each.

The ones here look pretty bad.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X