Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullion Navigator Wings

Hello All,

I have been offered these Navigator wings and was wondering if anyone had any information if they're US made or if they're English made. Are they even WW 2 Era or are they post. Thank you in advance as these are not my area...they just caught my eye because they're beautiful.

Regards,
    Chris G.
    Attached Files

Christopher, As I understand it the blue backed wings have their origin with 8th AAF in England. The story I understand to be true is the base C/O had issues with non aircrew base personnel going to town and pinning wings on their uniforms pretending to be air combat air crew members to impress the birds. The divergence in the story is this. Some say these denoted lead combat aircrews only and some saw these were for all air combat aircrews. I agree with the latter view. I know blue backed wings can be found with 9th AAF uniforms. The cross over between 8th and 9th air assets makes this more than likely. I like the looks of that wing. Bullion wings are hand made, not machine made and are priced above regular silver wings. They look to be period Navigators bullion wing made in England to me, but as always listen to the informed opinion of the forum before deciding for yourself.
    Last edited by p-59a; 05-18-2020, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Christopher,
      I like your wing - one of the nicest I've seen. The 3-strand circumference on the globe is a detail with high degree of workmanship.
      There are a few blue-backed bullion navigator wings here: http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/...avigator.shtml

Adam

Comment

Thank you guys so much for the help...I greatly appreciate it. I will see if I can get them but he is asking 150 for it...I dont know if thats good or not but I do really like them. They really are beautifully done.

Regards,
        Chris G.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher G. View Post
          Thank you guys so much for the help...I greatly appreciate it. I will see if I can get them but he is asking 150 for it...I dont know if thats good or not but I do really like them. They really are beautifully done.

Regards,
          Chris G.
          Chris, I'm not sure how todays circumstances affect the market, but that seems like a more than fair price to me. I have paid way more for a bullion wing of like construction. Yours David

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher G. View Post

Regards,
            Chris G.
            That is a very fair price.

Comment

Thank you guys for all the help on this one. I was able to secure the wings for even less then the asking price. They're going to go nicely with my small wing collection.

Regards,
              Chris G.

Comment

Wings

There was an almost identical set of wings to these on Ebay just a week or two back. I was the runner-up bidder and they sold for somewhere in the $150 range if I recall. Those are beauties!! Alex

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X