Dog tag Information?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog tag Information?

I would like to know more information about the man from this dog tag.
    Someone can find information or have a link/site where I can find this?
    Attached Files

Interesting tags; I don't recall seeing "SV" on a dog tag before...

Seaman 1st Class Milton Johnson (1911-1976) served in the US Navy from 15Sep1943 to 16Dec1945. He served aboard the USS Bayfield (APA-33) from July to November 1944; PGM-17 from January to June 1945 and LCI-332 from July to November 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by historyguy View Post
      Interesting tags; I don't recall seeing "SV" on a dog tag before...

Seaman 1st Class Milton Johnson (1911-1976) served in the US Navy from 15Sep1943 to 16Dec1945. He served aboard the USS Bayfield (APA-33) from July to November 1944; PGM-17 from January to June 1945 and LCI-332 from July to November 1945.
      Thanks historyguy.

From the info they told me he should landed on utah beach on d-day with the 4th Infantry Division and 87th Chemical Mortar Battalion.

But if you say served from July to November 1944 on the USS Bayfield (APA-33) then my info in incorrect?

Comment

According to “Dog Tags” by Paul Braddock, SV was found on USNR tags and signified a Selective Volunteer, someone with a trade or special skill. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by schuere View Post
          Thanks historyguy.

From the info they told me he should landed on utah beach on d-day with the 4th Infantry Division and 87th Chemical Mortar Battalion.

But if you say served from July to November 1944 on the USS Bayfield (APA-33) then my info in incorrect?
          Sorry, I did not mention his being assigned to

Group 2, 11th Amphibious Force April - July 1944.

In any case, the Bayfield was the flag ship for Commander, Force "U" and carried the 8th Infantry, 4th Infantry Division and the 87th Chemical Battalion.

He very well could have been aboard a landing craft that brought troops ashore. I don't know if an assignment like that would be listed in his service record or not.

Comment

Originally posted by historyguy View Post
            Sorry, I did not mention his being assigned to

Group 2, 11th Amphibious Force April - July 1944.

In any case, the Bayfield was the flag ship for Commander, Force "U" and carried the 8th Infantry, 4th Infantry Division and the 87th Chemical Battalion.

He very well could have been aboard a landing craft that brought troops ashore. I don't know if an assignment like that would be listed in his service record or not.
            thanks, so the info they told is ok

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X