• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leather mapcase

Hello

i try to identifiate this mapcase, i think it's US but, never seen

Thank's for your help

Comment

It's a civilian map case used by surveyors and geologists. I have one that i bought years and years and years ago, that i used for my geologic work.

Comment

Hello,

Thank's for your opinion,
        Is it a possible used during the ww2 as private purchase by us soldier or other nation?

Thank's a lot.

Comment

This style mapcase was used extensively by British, French and American officer’s in WWI and can be seen in photos carried by German Officers (in both wars) as well. The latter may have been captured cases but I have seen examples made in the US and France and I believe the UK. Most I’ve seen were made in corduroy leather and most incorporated a small compass. The also generally have a brittle celluloid panel with grid scale (often broken or missing) and sometimes a felt cover for the window. The one thing I don’t recall seeing are the lift dot snaps, they seem overkill for what are usually very small simple conventional snaps but the lift dots were used for all sorts of items.

I’d say this could be from either world war but lacking specific information and going on a hunch from the shade of the leather I would guess this one is from the 1920s - 1930s.

I do agree they were private purchase so civilians could also have used them.

Comment

Reminds me of a neighbor when I was a kid. He was a civil engineer. He used a German map case that he had brought home. Still had original colored pencils.

I got a mint matching C96 rig from him.
            MLP

Comment

Originally posted by NorthFront View Post
              Hello,

Thank's for your opinion,
              Is it a possible used during the ww2 as private purchase by us soldier or other nation?

Thank's a lot.

Yes, anybody with money would buy them because they were better quality than what you could get from the Army.

Comment

Hello.

Thank's for your opinions.

Best regard's

Comment

The mapcase is about the same design as the British jungle mapcase. Lift-the-Dot is more typical British used than American and you see these also on RAF equipment.

As said earlier, this case is more likely a private purchase. Maybe you can give it a try on the British Militaria forum.

Good luck

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X