Early Aiircrew Wing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Aiircrew Wing?

I believe wing began it’s life as a CPT Instructor wing before the center device was added. Many years ago Russ Huff identified one just like this example as a very early aircrew wing in one of his “Wings and Thiings” publications. Can anyone confirm or refute that? Any thoughts on what it actually is would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Aren't wings typically 3" long?.....Exception being those worn on the shirt which are generally 2" in length....Bodes

Comment

The first glider wings were configured in a similar fashion in which a "G" was fixed to a pilot's wing. Without having them in hand, they appear to be die-struck, which is a good sign.

Comment

101commbatvet, thanks for your feedback and, yes, it is definitely die struck.
        Bodes, most WW2 wings worn on tunics are 3” but this originally was a CPT instructor wing and they are about 2 1/2” wide.

Comment

Here is the CPT to compare. I like it but never saw one with the eagle affixed to it.

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/.../cookcpt.shtml

Lonny

Comment

My understanding is that the Enlisted Reserve CPT wings (WITHOUT eagle device) are the wings that the actual Reserve Pilot received upon completing the Civilian Pilot Training programme.

I read somewhere it was thought that the much harder to find version of the wing with the small eagle device attached may be the CPT programme Instructor's version.

Regards
            Mike
            Regards
            Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Mike,
              Thanks for your feedback. That certainly sounds logical to me.
              Regards,
              Fred

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X