PASGT helmet used in Somalia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PASGT helmet used in Somalia

A PASGT helmet from a larger lot of things coming from a Danish UN and former French Foreign Legion vet. This helmet was used in Somalia during mine sweeping operations with UNOSOM. I was told they were given these helmets for protection as the Somalians often shot at them.
    Attached Files

Nobody ? ...

Comment

1983 Lot. Cherry sweatband no sweat stains. Little to no wear. Must not have been shot at by the Somalis that much considering it looks like it was never really ever worn. Believe the item not the story comes to mind. Outside of it's provenance its just a plain Jane early dated PASGT with very minimal wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd I. View Post
        1983 Lot. Cherry sweatband no sweat stains. Little to no wear. Must not have been shot at by the Somalis that much considering it looks like it was never really ever worn. Believe the item not the story comes to mind. Outside of it's provenance its just a plain Jane early dated PASGT with very minimal wear.
        Was he a Danish UN official? If he was in the Danish military he should have had his own helmet. Did the lot include a blue cover? Would almost expect it to be painted blue if issued by the UN. On all other items +1 to the post above.

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd I. View Post
          +1, cant imagine having a mint leather sweatband after waearing it in somalian sun even for 5 minutes....

Comment

Was there, and, then, in Somalia the paratrooper´s version of the PASGET in the "Ranger´s", and/or, the "Delta´s" ????

Comment

Originally posted by Reibert-Austria View Post
              Was there, and, then, in Somalia the paratrooper´s version of the PASGET in the "Ranger´s", and/or, the "Delta´s" ????

The only difference in a paratrooper version of this helmet is a large pad in the rear of the helmet and some Velcro straps bolted to the rear sides that were attached to the chinstrap during airborne operations.

Delta guys for the most part wore a completely different helmet at the time.

As stated this helmet is unissued and was not used.

Comment

In Bosnia in 1996 IFOR (and i imagine UNPROFOR as well), we had these exact Helmets. We then got the Canadian one later in around 1997. I actually liked these a lot better than the Canadian ones, although all Canadian troops in Somalia wore just the old US M1 Helmet, first painted blue, and then helmet covers nets and scrim went back on at the last minute.

This Helmet you have here probably just had the UN Helmet cover i would imagine, if you look in photos you can see. I'm just wondering though, did this helmet possibly belong to the coalition effort that also changed at the last minute and could be another reason why its green as I see a lot of pictures from Bosnia where troops have the Helmet cover and others are painted?

Pete
                Last edited by pete; 05-23-2020, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X