Vietnam Zippo Lighters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vietnam Zippo Lighters

Hi all, I collect TR and British Militaria, my two kids have no interest in either but my 17 year old daughter has started collecting zippo lighters.
    She is 18 soon and I would like to buy her a Viet Nam era Zippo with some artwork or engraving on, I know nothing about them but assume they are heavily faked.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction, I will post here before I buy anything and I know they aren't cheap.
    Are there any reputable dealers or sellers that can source me one?
    I am pleased she has some of the collecting 'bug' in her!

Best - Greg

Before you buy one, check out these charts so you don't get taken. I had two lighters from 1967 & 68 when I was over in Nam. Both gone now, if I still had one I would send it to you!

http://www.toledo-bend.us/VCL/articl...?request=zippo
    Last edited by Spagg199th; 04-30-2020, 11:20 AM.

Comment

If you buy her the Schiffer Zippo lighter book, at least she will know what not to collect since the vast majority of the book are post-Vn engraved lighters.
      "Militaria shows are a social event for anti-social people"--A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

Comment

Originally posted by Spagg199th View Post
        Before you buy one, check out these charts so you don't get taken. I had two lighters from 1967 & 68 when I was over in Nam. Both gone now, if I still had one I would send it to you!

http://www.toledo-bend.us/VCL/articl...?request=zippo
        Thanks for that, and that would have been pretty cool, she has just finished Viet Nam as part of her studies as well.
        G

Comment

Originally posted by greg1878 View Post
          Thanks for that, and that would have been pretty cool, she has just finished Viet Nam as part of her studies as well.
          G
          Here's one that may still be available on Larry Stewart's site.

https://stewartsmilitaryantiques.com...itary-antiques

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 Creedmoor View Post
            Here's one that may still be available on Larry Stewart's site.

https://stewartsmilitaryantiques.com...itary-antiques
            Thanks for the tip, I have emailed him.
            Best - Greg

Comment

Originally posted by greg1878 View Post
              Thanks for the tip, I have emailed him.
              Best - Greg
              They want $38 to ship to England
              I shall keep looking.
              G

Comment

Over Christmas and New years i was down in Saigon and looking through the Dan Sinh market and area: All the Zippos on public display at all the sellers stands were actually fakes, but fakes with the real markings- although you could tell they were fakes by the design and materials. I didnt even see any real ones with fake markings, only totally fakes. Just by looking up the references like you show it gave me a good idea, another shop in HANOI was seemingly full of fakes the same although i haven't even actually took the time to go in and start taking them in my hand yet.

-When i did see real ones it was only because i asked "Please show me the real ones", and those were not even Military, they were mostly civilian company lighters, and not many of them either. It appeared that most of these markets are even running out of real Vietnam era items and importing alot of stuff from Korea, including US Uniforms etc. Best was the dog tags, marked "Navy Seals" "SOG" "Karen" etc..obviously for tourists. It seems way easier, safer and reliable to buy from what came back and is in the USA!

Best Regards,

Pete

Comment

There was nothing especially military about the original "real" ones.
                  There were little booths all over the country that sold every kind of crapola you could imagine. Lots of leather stuff.
                  They had batches of lighters from wherever they got them, that were blank. You could buy some that were already engraved, or stand there and tell them whatever you wanted. The cost less than 5 bucks.

I bet some of the fakes are being turned out by the same folks from the old days. Maybe their descendants.
                  MLP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X