E-stand jump wings and oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-stand jump wings and oval

Hello everyone! I focus primarily on German items but I've been looking to acquire some jump wings as my great uncle was in the 101st Airborne, Able Company, 1st battalion, 506th parachute infantry regiment.

I was reading that the pin back and clutch style are appropriate for WWII era wings. But being this one is marked sterling, I assume that stands for sterling silver and not a maker.

Would love thoughts on this item!

https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for....php?t=1043352

Thanks!

Originally posted by akriener View Post
    Hello everyone! I focus primarily on German items but I've been looking to acquire some jump wings as my great uncle was in the 101st Airborne, Able Company, 1st battalion, 506th parachute infantry regiment.

I was reading that the pin back and clutch style are appropriate for WWII era wings. But being this one is marked sterling, I assume that stands for sterling silver and not a maker.

Would love thoughts on this item!

https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for....php?t=1043352

Thanks!
    The oval is period WW2 for artillery; I believe these are late war. The wings are slick back marked for the silver content; they are also WW2 period but have been modified to clutch back.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
      The oval is period WW2 for artillery; I believe these are late war. The wings are slick back marked for the silver content; they are also WW2 period but have been modified to clutch back.
      Thanks for chiming in. What gives it away that they have been modified?

As they were modified, how would this have originally been attached to a uniform?

Comment

Originally posted by akriener View Post
        Thanks for chiming in. What gives it away that they have been modified?

As they were modified, how would this have originally been attached to a uniform?
        Notice the amount of solder on the pins; it looks like the earlier straight pin was removed and replaced with clutch back pins. You can see the glob of solder at the base of the pin. I have at least one set of wings with a similar modification that was worn by a guy allegedly in the 508th.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
          Notice the amount of solder on the pins; it looks like the earlier straight pin was removed and replaced with clutch back pins. You can see the glob of solder at the base of the pin. I have at least one set of wings with a similar modification that was worn by a guy allegedly in the 508th.
          I thought perhaps the solder was suspect. Thanks for your pointers!

Comment

Personally I would Always go for pin back. Rather be on the safe side...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X