Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Candid photo of early load bearing vest

Gents,

I came across this photo the other day and was intrigued by the early load bearing vest.

Based on the Mitchell Camouflage Helmet cover and M-1, I would think the photo dates to the early 1960's. I can't tell if the individual is a Soldier or Marine. His once black boots are coated in red dust.

Is anyone familiar with this LBV? Aviation related?

Many thanks,
    TJ
    Attached Files

Probably a test sample

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No caption for a little clue?

This guy has an M1 Garand, so if he's in the RA, then the photo was taken in 1965 or before, if he's in the AR/NG then it could have been in 1970 or earlier. I'm not sure when the Marines got rid of their Garands, but I suspect that it was around that time or later.

The LBE/LCE didn't get designed/tested until the early 80s' to mid-80s'. There was a bit of reluctance to accept a system with ammunition covering soldier's vital areas due to rounds going off if impacted by a projectile. This was a big fear by many while the system was in development. After much testing, it was determined that the rounds and the magazines were unlikely to cause any significant catastrophic wounds to the soldier; hence the system was fielded.

To me, the vest resembles the type similar to what aircrews used. I believe the Army pouches were generally horizontal while the Navy had theirs vertical like in the picture. This guy wears a camouflage cover, so I'm sure he is a Marine. One possibility is that it's a Navy vest with or without modifications added. Using those pouches with a Garand would be awkward at best.

Comment

Not AF at all.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
          No caption for a little clue?

This guy has an M1 Garand, so if he's in the RA, then the photo was taken in 1965 or before, if he's in the AR/NG then it could have been in 1970 or earlier. I'm not sure when the Marines got rid of their Garands, but I suspect that it was around that time or later.

The LBE/LCE didn't get designed/tested until the early 80s' to mid-80s'. There was a bit of reluctance to accept a system with ammunition covering soldier's vital areas due to rounds going off if impacted by a projectile. This was a big fear by many while the system was in development. After much testing, it was determined that the rounds and the magazines were unlikely to cause any significant catastrophic wounds to the soldier; hence the system was fielded.

To me, the vest resembles the type similar to what aircrews used. I believe the Army pouches were generally horizontal while the Navy had theirs vertical like in the picture. This guy wears a camouflage cover, so I'm sure he is a Marine. One possibility is that it's a Navy vest with or without modifications added. Using those pouches with a Garand would be awkward at best.

That's interesting
          We always put 2 additional magazine pouches on our LBE for a total of 4 across the front waistline.
          You could carry more ammo.
          I know of 2 incidences where guys were shot and the loaded mag pouches actually stopped the rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt M View Post
            That's interesting
            We always put 2 additional magazine pouches on our LBE for a total of 4 across the front waistline.
            You could carry more ammo.
            I know of 2 incidences where guys were shot and the loaded mag pouches actually stopped the rounds.
            Yeah, I didn't mention that, but one of the developing engineers that I spoke to did bring up the ballistic characteristics that it could slow down rounds and possibly provide some protection. However, I don't recall him making a big selling point out of it.

Comment

Eldon Bargewell was struck in the chest by an AK round. He was wearing a NVA chest rig and the loaded AK mag stopped the bullet saving him.
              Interesting guy from my SFTG days. He went from Pvt to Major General.
              MLP

Comment

And another 101 theory gone south.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeP View Post
                  Eldon Bargewell was struck in the chest by an AK round. He was wearing a NVA chest rig and the loaded AK mag stopped the bullet saving him.
                  Interesting guy from my SFTG days. He went from Pvt to Major General.
                  I knew General Bargewell and his wonderful wife. I had the pleasure of showing them around Normandy for several days. He was one solid operator and an impressive guy.

Comment

It is a Marine Corps early attempt at a load carrying set-up.

There is a thread about them on the US Militaria Forum
                    "Militaria shows are a social event for anti-social people"--A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

Comment

I gave pics on an original one in my files

Comment

Here’s the vest
                        Pockets are snap on

Comment

Here’s the vest with the pockets removed showing snaps

US made vest

Comment

Back showing snaps

Comment

Back

It’s an odd duck for sure but experimental with a forward thinking concept

Owen

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X