Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US WW2 "Verdun" patch

Who can tell me what these are...Organization? "St Maurice Verdun FCSPF"
    Several are currently for sale on ebay (as depicted)
    and explained as rare from WW2...
    I also have one which came in a WW2 patch lot...
    Any idea?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 04-17-2020, 12:12 AM.

It's a souvenir patch the frequently shows up in patch collections, anyone who claims it's rare does not handle many patches.
    "Militaria shows are a social event for anti-social people"--A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Chatt View Post
      It's a souvenir patch the frequently shows up in patch collections, anyone who claims it's rare does not handle many patches.
      Thanks for chiming in Bob. Yeah you are the patch king! Figured so...Souvenir...
      I guess many GI's in liberated France decided to visit the old Verdun battle fields picking these up (???)
      which explains why these are frequently found in the USA...Souvenir bring backs...Just curious what FCSPS meant...
      I guess the castle makes some people think these might be US Engineers branch related?
      Anyway I won't frame it with my patches since it is not military! (just mixed in with a lot) Again appreciate you confirming this!
      Last edited by NickG; 04-17-2020, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Fcspf.

found nothing about FCSPF, but looks like a club or association, maybe sport ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ir 143 View Post
          found nothing about FCSPF, but looks like a club or association, maybe sport ?
          Its civil.

I haven't seen an exact ID yet though.

St Maurice, France liberation era souvenir patch.
          ------------------------------------------------
          Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

I am pretty sure that I have seen somewhere, but I can't find now, that this was the patch for some sort educational institution that was set up right after the war. It was to allow soldiers on occupation duty to get a jump on collage courses for when they get home. I can't remember if it was an actual Army thing or was sponsored by one of the solider welfare organizations. The letters at the bottom are the organization.
            I don't think it was worn on the uniform just a souvenir you were there.

Comment

The French Educational patch is much larger and a different design. You can check ASMIC as I am sure there has been a article about it.

This Verdun patch is just a souvenir.
              "Militaria shows are a social event for anti-social people"--A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

Comment

OK I did some digging myself...
                It appears that the Verdun castle was the inspiration for the US engineers castle branch insignia, as a French volunteer
                "Marquis des Androuins" (a French Aristocrat) from Verdun who introduced it during the Revolutionary war to the army of the Potomac in 1780
                and it got adopted. Perhaps US service members (especially Engineers) who were interested it its history like to obtain this patch,
                while visiting Verdun.
                More here:

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a560305.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by qed4 View Post
                  I am pretty sure that I have seen somewhere, but I can't find now, that this was the patch for some sort educational institution that was set up right after the war. It was to allow soldiers on occupation duty to get a jump on collage courses for when they get home. I can't remember if it was an actual Army thing or was sponsored by one of the solider welfare organizations. The letters at the bottom are the organization.
                  I don't think it was worn on the uniform just a souvenir you were there.
                  ASMIC has pubbed multiple articles on the subject of post war (both WW 1 and 2) educational programs for occupational troops. The earliest reference was in a 1951 issue. While there numerous locations in France post WW 1, none were in Verdun. All the post WW 2 classes were held in former (and in the case of Cambridge, active) educational institutions. This "Verdun" patch is NOT one of them. As Bob Chatt says, it's a souvenir patch.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X