Pfc. Ellis Overmyer's Battle-Damaged Helmet, 325th GIR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pfc. Ellis Overmyer's Battle-Damaged Helmet, 325th GIR

I am posting a US WWII helmet that I have had in my collection for a couple of decades. Although I do not actively collect US WWII helmets, any time I run into one with solid provenance, I cannot resist including it in my collection. Untouched US M1 WWII helmets are more rare in the US than German ones.

In any event, I introduce you to Pfc. Ellis Overmyer. Pfc. Ellis Overmyer was part of "E" Company, 325th Glider Infantry, 82nd Airborne Division and I purchased his helmet through Ebay directly from Pfc. Overmyer's son. I communicated with the son at length before and after the auction and he agreed to provide me as much information as he knew on his father's involvement during WWII. The attached photo is a colorized portrait of Pfc. Overmyer that his son was kind to provide to me. Of interest in the picture is that, although he was part of the 82nd's glider regiment, he was also jump qualified (see his wings). His son sent me this with the notation that this was taken at Pfc. Overmyer's graduation from parachute school in 1944 (he was 19 years old).
    Attached Files
    When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
    Iwo Jima 1945

The son gave me a detailed letter describing the chronological events from graduation from high school in Ohio, his induction into the service on June 1, 1943, all the way to joining the 82nd Airborne Division. I have a partial copy of his "Enlisted Record and Report of Separation -- Honorable Discharge" and his records seem to indicate that Pfc. Ovemyer did not arrive into the European theater until November 1944, so he was a replacement after Operation Market-Garden. The report goes on to say that his MOS was "Rifleman 745", under 'Battles and Campaigns' it is listed "Ardennes" and under 'Military Qualification' it is listed "Combat Infantry Badge Carbine (ss) Rifle M1 (Mkm)". Interestingly, under 'Summary of Military Occupation', it is written "Rifleman: Was a paratrooper rifleman with the 82nd Airborne Division in the European Theater of operations. Performed a jump from airplane and engaged in combat on ground. Using M-1 Rifle and other hand weapons."

In any event, the son's letter goes on to mention that Pfc. Ovemyer joined the 325th GIR of the 82nd Airborne while the 82nd was in France after Operation Market-Garden. When the Germans launched their offensive in December 1944, the 82nd Airborne was rushed by truck to the front to help delay/contain the German offensive. Here are some period pictures of the 325th GIR during the Battle if the Bulge. The first picture is of the 325th GIR when first deployed to Belgium from their base in France around December 18-20, 1944. The second and third are of the 325th GIR, still in Belgium, but in January 1945.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by WalterB; 04-14-2020, 10:14 PM.
    When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

The letter that the son provided me goes on to mention that upon arriving in Belgium from their base in France, Pfc. Overmyer and his unit found themselves fighting a series of delaying actions against veteran German panzer units pushing through the Northern sector of the Ardennes in Southern Belgium / Northern France. The letter indicates that during one of these delaying actions, Pfc. Overmyer was assigned to a unit guarding a road along the 82nd's flank with the 7th Armored Division. The unit consisted of an anti-tank gun crew and some .50 cal machine guns. The anti-tank gun and one .50 cal machine gun were concealed in positions that would enable them to fire at the flank of any vehicle attempting to travel across the road, while the other .50 cal machine gun (Pfc. Overmyer was part of this machine gun team) was positioned along the road itself (enabling it to fire at the oncoming vehicles head-on).

The following pictures are of elements of the 325th GIR during the Battle of the Bulge setting up with similar weapons.
      Attached Files
      When you go home
      Tell them for us and say
      For your tomorrow
      We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Some time after setting up, the Germans sent a reconnaissance group down this road consisting of two panzer tanks and about a platoon of infantry. Some of the infantry was riding on the tanks as they approached the blockade. The anti-tank gun opened fire and knocked out the lead panzer. Shortly after the anti-tank gun opened fire, the machine guns opened up on the supporting infantry. The second panzer was able to fire and disable the anti-tank gun, but fortunately withdrew with the remaining German infantry. The Germans then brought the position under intense mortar fire and Pfc. Overmyer's machine gun mate (who was also a recent replacement) jumped up and ran towards the woods to avoid the mortar fire. Unfortunately, he was hit by the mortars and was killed.
        When you go home
        Tell them for us and say
        For your tomorrow
        We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

The letter goes on to relate another story that his father told him. His son mentions that Pfc. Overmyer's unit was crossing a farmer's field when they came under mortar fire, followed by machine gun fire. Pfc. Overmyer and other members of his unit sprinted for cover at the edge of the field. Just as Pfc. Overmyer was diving for cover, he felt an impact on his helmet which sent the helmet flying off. Pfc. Overmyer darted back out under fire to the edge of the field and retrieved his helmet. Only after reaching cover again did he realize that the impact he had felt had in fact been a machine gun round passing through the helmet. Pfc. Overmyer decided to keep his battle damaged helmet as "both a memento of personal good fortune and his stupidity at having foolishly risked his life to retrieve it." In fact, Pfc. Overmyer was shortly thereafter wounded and evacuated to England. He related the story that the only two souvenirs he had from WWII was a P38 with a holster and his damaged helmet, but that on his evacuation to England, someone had stolen his P38. As a result, his only souvenir was his battle damaged helmet.
          Attached Files
          When you go home
          Tell them for us and say
          For your tomorrow
          We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

On to Pfc. Overmyer's helmet. Although jump qualified, the helmet is an M-1 shell with a paratrooper liner (not an unusual configuration). The shell has swivel bales and a front seam (which, I believe, means it was manufactured around the October / November 1943 time-frame). The helmet has an M1C liner and is manufactured by Westinghouse and is also marked underneath the Westinghouse mark with a "42 D" (the "D" is facing the opposite side). The liner's webbing is stamped with "O-6349" (consistent with his last name initial and the last four digits of his ASN). The shell and liner's condition is used but very good condition. The helmet also has a 4-eyelet cotton chinstrap. Another interesting thing about the helmet is that the "A" frame webbing (and the cotton chinstrap) were tucked under the liner so that when the bullet went through, it completely severed one of the cotton chinstrap pieces and partially severed the second chinstrap piece!
            Attached Files
            When you go home
            Tell them for us and say
            For your tomorrow
            We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

This angle reflects the trajectory of the bullet that went through the shell and liner (but just above the scalp of Pfc. Overmyer).
              Attached Files
              When you go home
              Tell them for us and say
              For your tomorrow
              We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Close-up of bullet entry point.
                Attached Files
                When you go home
                Tell them for us and say
                For your tomorrow
                We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Pictures of exit point.
                  Attached Files
                  When you go home
                  Tell them for us and say
                  For your tomorrow
                  We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

On to pictures of the liner. As mentioned, the webbing is stamped "O-6439", Pfc. Overmyer's laundry number. The "A" frame webbing of the para liner is tucked inside, in a similar way as it was when Pfc. Overmyer got hit a long time ago on a cold Belgian field.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by WalterB; 04-14-2020, 10:49 PM.
                    When you go home
                    Tell them for us and say
                    For your tomorrow
                    We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Details of the chinstrap. As mentioned, the chintrap was tucked into the liner when Pfc. Overmyer got hit. The bullet severed completely one part of the chinstrap and all but a thread of the other part of the chintrap.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by WalterB; 04-14-2020, 10:49 PM.
                      When you go home
                      Tell them for us and say
                      For your tomorrow
                      We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Additional details of the helmet and liner.
                        Attached Files
                        When you go home
                        Tell them for us and say
                        For your tomorrow
                        We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Lastly, I leave you with Pfc. Overmyer and two well known pictures of another 325th GIR trooper taken during those difficult days. Lest we forget their sacrifices.

I hope you enjoyed this thread.
                          Attached Files
                          When you go home
                          Tell them for us and say
                          For your tomorrow
                          We gave our today

Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

fantastic

Always a pleasure seeing your collection and what you do with it Walter!
                            Great piece and story. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I remember you posting this superb helmet years ago. It is too bad you were not able to speak to the veteran yourself before he passed away.

Do you have photos of the entrance and exit holes in the liner? The liner tends to keep a nice silhouette of whatever caused the damage, unlike the steel shell.
                              Your exit hole seems to have the shape of a rifle/MG bullet, that is tumbling after entering the helmet.

JL
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X