USMC Senior NCO Waist Plate question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USMC Senior NCO Waist Plate question

Can anyone tell me what era/date this waistplate is from? It has a nice, overall dark patina.
    Attached Files

That's a great looking buckle with an EGA that could date it any time between 1920's-1940's. It is roughly the style of an NCO buckle, but I would suggest it was not worn with any uniform. Consider:

- assuming the dimensions are correct, issue buckles were designed to be worn with the white leather or woven enlisted belt with the dress blues. The catch on this appears to be made for a holed leather belt, which used an open face design with catch, not the plate buckle.

- enlisted blue undress uniforms used the open slider buckle, not a plate design.

- the buckle is configured with the catch and belt retainer backward from issue designs - very unlikely any SNCO would make such an error.

- wide leather belts were popular for the better part of the last century, and this looks to be fashioned for use with a civilian leather belt by a proud Marine/former Marine (IMO).

- the EGA is pretty wide of the mark in terms of symmetry and known styles from the last century, and I'd swag this is a foreign made piece (Chinese, Filipino, etc).

Cool buckle that certainly pre-dates WWII, but probably not an issue item.

s/f Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X