Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nickel 3-Piece "GEMSCO" CIB - KW?

Hi All,

Picked this up at a flea market last weekend. It appears to be made of nickel or some other non-magnetic metal. Almost certain it isn't sterling? The badge is multi-piece construction with wreath and star applied. Only hallmark is Gemsco, N.Y. and the early 1950's nippled and patented clutch fasteners. Very well made badge, but does anyone know when Gemsco produced these? Look at the size of that star! Korean War, post Korean War or 1960's? It was in a small box of U.S. insignia, including what looks like a Japanese made 7th ID "Bayonet" badge and Inf. collar discs, so I'm hoping this CIB can be attributed to Gemsco during the KW?

Thanks,
    Gary
    Attached Files

the reverse...
    Attached Files

Comment

the hallmark...
      Attached Files

Comment

A very neat badge! I would speculate that it's a 40's Gemsco CIB with the wreath and the star added during the Korean War probably in Japan. A very nice CIB variation.
        Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by wartimecollectables
          A very neat badge! I would speculate that it's a 40's Gemsco CIB with the wreath and the star added during the Korean War probably in Japan. A very nice CIB variation.
          Andrew
          Andrew -

A collecting friend emailed this Gemsco hallmark information to me last night. From the information, it looks like you hit it right on. Says that this Gemsco hallmark did not always have "sterling" inscribed and dates from WWII.

Did you mean that this badge may have started out as an EIB and then converted to 2nd award CIB during the KW?

Do you know anything about the 7th ID "Bayonet" badges? This stuff came together, so I'm wondering if this bayonet badge could be from same time period? Did the 7th ID have this badge during the Korean War? It looks like it might be Japanese made with the long brass nail or tack looking clutch posts? No hallmarks on the badge, but it looks like sterling.

Thanks for the info.,
          Gary
          Attached Files

Comment

the bayonet badge...
            Attached Files

Comment

reverse..
              Attached Files

Comment

Yes, started out as an EIB. Neatly converted to a second award CIB...probably (again speculation) early Korean War by a 7th Div. guy that couldn't get ahold of a 2nd Award US made CIB yet. Yes, the 7th Division badge is wartime made and worn. There are published wartime shots of the guys wearing them. ASMIC had a nice article on them a few years ago but I can't lay my hands on it. Maybe VK can find it? A neat group.
                Andrew

Comment

Andrew -

Thanks for the information on both badges. In the last week, I haven't been able to come up with much of anything on the bayonet badge as to what it was for, criteria for award, etc.. other than it's mostly an "attaboy" award given out by 7th ID. I checked the 7 ID website and see the Assosiation still sells these badges to members, but the ones shown are pretty cheap and funky looking. This badge has some quality workmanship and enameling involved, so it is reassuring that you believe it to be made during the Korean War.

You mention there are period photos of it in wear. Can you tell me where on the uniform it was worn?

Thanks for the kind words on both badges!

Regards,
                  Gary

Originally posted by wartimecollectables
                  Yes, started out as an EIB. Neatly converted to a second award CIB...probably (again speculation) early Korean War by a 7th Div. guy that couldn't get ahold of a 2nd Award US made CIB yet. Yes, the 7th Division badge is wartime made and worn. There are published wartime shots of the guys wearing them. ASMIC had a nice article on them a few years ago but I can't lay my hands on it. Maybe VK can find it? A neat group.
                  Andrew

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X