Named Danish M23 helmet acquired from family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Named Danish M23 helmet acquired from family

I am very excited! Just acquired a very nice and rare M23 helmet to my collection. The M23 was used by the Danish army from 1923 up until the German occupation.

The helmet is named to Einar Petersen and I bought the helmet from his great-grandson. I don't know much about Danish army units but I assume P.3. KMDL. is where he served. The great-grandson will contact his grandfather, the son of Einar Petersen, for more information. The liner has written the numbers 178 and 19 and was previously named to a Jensen.
    The shell has received an army brown brushed on repaint on top of the textured surface which is rare and the shell is marked with a serial number from A/S Glud & Marstands Fabriker. The liner is in good condition and so is the chinstrap.

I will add to this thread once I receive more information

If anybody has information on the unit etc please let me know
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TheCleaner; 10-04-2019, 08:05 AM.

Fantastic lid (as well as provenance)....love it

Comment

Hello sir, very Nice helmet you have found, these are not easy to find in untouched condition. Nothing in the letter combination leads me to Think they are danish army.
      Maybe used by resistance in 45? If i Remember correctly there was a group in Copenhagen Called P.3.

All the Best jens

Comment

Originally posted by Jens Thune View Post
        Hello sir, very Nice helmet you have found, these are not easy to find in untouched condition. Nothing in the letter combination leads me to Think they are danish army.
        Maybe used by resistance in 45? If i Remember correctly there was a group in Copenhagen Called P.3.

All the Best jens

Hi Jens Thank you for the information, very interesting. I see five registered resistance member whose name is Einar Petersen in the official database but none of them is registered to a P. 3. I will contact Nationalmuseet to see if they can help me locating records

Comment

Very nice find...these helemts are becoming quite rares day by day....

Comment

Very nice untouched helmet. Congrats
            KMDL could stand for: Kommandodeling = Command Platoon

KR. Karsten

"Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value."

Comment

Originally posted by Karsten S View Post
              Very nice untouched helmet. Congrats
              KMDL could stand for: Kommandodeling = Command Platoon

KR. Karsten
              That sound possible. Thank you!

Comment

Here Is an update on the name and other writing inside your fine helmet.

Einar Petersen
                P3 KMDL

Even though your helmet was issued to army personnel, it had a different use later, which the name and writing relates to.

You helmet was issued and used by a resistance man.
                He was next in command in the 1st. command platoon (KMDL)of a “waiting group” called P3.

From an article about the resistance movement it is described as followed:

Copenhagen was at the end of the war divided into 7 geographical sections.
                Section 3 was a northern part of Copenhagen still called Oesterbro.
                Section 3 was again devided into P1 through P8.

P1-P5 consisted of mostly men with military background. They where issued with army helmet.
                In March 1945 P3 consisted of 3 platoons; A Command Platoon (30 men) and three ordinary platoons, with a total of 200 men.

From a good friend I was able to receive a part of the weapon list for the P3 1. (Command) Platoon.
                Here is stated that Einar Petersen is next in command and was issued a USA riffel, which was one of the many M1 carabiners that was parachuted from British bombers.

Hope that this will add a little to the history of your fine helmet. Take good care of it as it is a little part of the danish strive for freedom and a reminder of people who put their life at stake for our freedom.

KR. Karsten
                Attached Files

"Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value."

Comment

Very impressive research Karsten! I am very happy about the information and the document that proves Einar's position in the resistance.

As you know this helmet will only come for sale once I go cold. It has amazing characters and now an amazing story. Thank you

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X