För Finland Pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

För Finland Pin

Does anyone know what this is? I assume that it is Finnish going by the style of markings on the reverse. Another piece that needs a new home.

Any help appreciated.

Don

F2a.jpg F2b.jpg

Hi Don,

This pin was sold to raise money for Finland's cause during the Winter War 1939-40. If memory serves me right, I believe this was initiated in my hometown Göteborg (Gothenburg, Sweden) by a concerned citizen.

cheers
    Peter

Comment

Hi Don,

that is a pin for gathering funds during the Winter war for planes to the Finnish ariforce. Swedes collected some 7 miljons swedish kronor if i recall it right. There is a golden one as well.
      Regards
      Hans N

Don´t throw away your fake WB´s! Get in touch with me.
      I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

So it's Swedish? Excellent, thank you Gentlemen. Now to find it a new home.

Cheers
        Don

Comment

I totally forgot but there are 3 versions, silver with dark background and without enamel , silver with and also a gold with enamel.
          Attached Files
          Regards
          Hans N

I collect them for reference purposes for the benefit of the hobby (for the right "fake" price of course).

Comment

Wow, thank you, very interesting. I assume that the grades were linked to the amount of money raised by the wearer?

Also, if I may ask, what is the other gold pin above the För Finland pins?

Thanks again
            Don

Comment

Hi Don,

sorry for a late reply! Yes i´d like to also think the grades would be linked to the amount of money raised.

The golden pin also swedish för "Östergötlands Rusthållareförening" (Östergötlands Maintaining Farm association) to raise money for the swedish volunteers during the winter war 1939-40. They where made by Sporrong in Stockholm.

The first maintaining farm was formed in the early 1940s in Östergötland. The idea of maintaining farms was considered so good that the Finland Committee in Stockholm wanted similar associations to be formed around the country. There must have been a total of about 25 county maintaining farms and 165 smaller maintaining farms and restraint districts around Sweden before they began to wind up their activities shortly after the peace agreement was concluded on March 13, 1940 between Finland and the Soviet Union. The maintaining farms was started for the benefit of Finnish volunteers and to secure the volunteers' family financial situation. The Swedish volunteers were paid as much as the Finnish soldiers. Due to the fact that the differences in the economic standard in Sweden and Finland were large at this time. As a result, Finnish soldiers' salaries were insufficient for a Swedish family to live on. The maintaining farms associations assisted the volunteers and their families with financial support. The Central maintaining farm was formed on 19 February 1940 and consisted only of a board led by Prince Eugene as chairman. It was formed to enable cooperation between the local maintaining farms that existed around Sweden and with the aim of creating uniformity in the paid financial support. It also functioned as a link between the individual volunteer and the maintaining farm at their place of residence if the volunteer himself did not have the opportunity to get in touch with his local maintaining farm.
              Attached Files
              Regards
              Hans N

Comment

Wow, that is fascinating, thank you. They are very attractive pins as well.

Comment

something
                  Last edited by Mikedenmark; 08-29-2020, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Now that's interesting to know.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have the "hands" one somewhere.
                      Meanwhile, any ideas on this one?
                      Pete
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here is a danish support pin Denmark Finland.
                        I have no details about this one. Not one I see very often. But, not unique.
                        I sold this one recently.

IMG_9466-1.jpg

There is also another one. Circular, with 4 hands locked together. Representing the nordic countries.
                        Rare here in Denmark, but fairly common in Sweden. Usually, only painted with light blue paint.

I also have a set of the Order White rose here somewhere. Given to a danish senior surgeon who went to Finland with some ambulances.
                        Unfortunately, without the papers. it came from his estate. So, just another story, unsubstantiated.

Sad thing was, he died alone, and a distant, married relative, pair of drug addicts, inherited his estate. After they had ruined his large house here in Copenhagen, they sold off what remained of the furniture. In a drawer in a closet, they had overlooked the decoration in it´s case. According to the description, the interior of the house was wrecked completely.
                        Anything of value had been sold off, or wrecked.
                        Eventually, they sold the house. Most likely because they had no way of paying the taxes on such a house.

I do not recall the name. but there was only one danish doctor who got the white rose cross with the star.

IMG_9470.JPG

This one is not really related to Finland. It comes from a danish association. Nationalt Værn. But compare it with the finnish pins at the top of the photo posted here earlier.

For those interested in photo´s. from the 1940 war in Finland, here are some:

http://www.omnia.ie/index.php?naviga...y=vinterkrigen

Have fun.
                        Attached Files

Comment

ASEA Finland.
                          Small wonder they did not use that logo post 1945. Please also note, the postcard is stamped 1914.
                          In both swedish and russian, in the same stamp. Seems the use of the swastika ended around 1933.
                          The 2 green stamps are russian, 1911 issue.
                          One might argue that it should be AEAS Allmänna Elektriska Aktiebolaget Suomi. But as the text is in swedish, ASEA is probably right.

aseafinland.JPG
                          Last edited by Mikedenmark; 08-30-2020, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X