23rd RCT 2nd Infantry Division Charles S. Feikert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

23rd RCT 2nd Infantry Division Charles S. Feikert

Researching the Korean War is quite a challenge but there is getting to be more information available.
    My Uncle being sent at the beginning of the war spent a lot of time in the extreme cold, which had a profound effect on him the rest of his life. Summer home, Missouri, winter Texas.
    My Uncle was WIA on March 8 1951. From what I think he was at Chip Yong Ni when he was hit by enemy fire. Unfortunately he passed away and he would not ever talk about his time in combat.
    So after years of reading about the history of the war I am great full for sites like this to help me find other information to see what my Uncle had done in the war.

If anybody has a better chronology of the time his Regimental Combat Team spent in Korea, please let me know because I need to find out if he has more decorations to add to his monument in the Sam Houston Cemetery in Texas.

Being a lifer in the Army, then the Air Force, Charles had a colorful military career.

Thanks for any help.

You should start by ordering his personnel file from St. Louis. You can use the Freedom of Information Act to receive a censored copy, or his next-of-kin can request a full, uncensored copy. A lot of files were destroyed in a fire, but if he was in past 1973 that won't be a problem.

Instructions are here:
    https://www.archives.gov/veterans/mi...-form-180.html

Also, the 2nd Infantry division has a three volume work on the Korean War, though I have never read it, so I cannot say how much it covers the 23rd RCT.

Finally, google 23rd Regimental Combat Team, there is a lot of information online.

Good luck with your research!

Comment

23d RCT

Many Thanks historyguy,

I read almost every day, right now reading combat reports on the 301 HBG USAAF.

Having read just about everything on the net on the 23d RCT some time ago I had thought that nothing new would be of interest. But after your response to my inquiry I decided to try and just as you answered my interest peaked by the new historical interest of the Korean War.

Korean War Project and others have brought forth a wealth of information on day to day operations, combat reports, awards, and just general information on the
      23d RCT that was not on the net before.

I myself have decided that if I can just Read the names of the Men and Women one more time, that have put themselves in peril in the name of the Republic that I have remembered that their Duty was to protect Democracy from tyranny.

Thanks to all who take the time to never forget the commitment made by all who put together information for others to research and to keep adding as information is released from the Federal Government.

Comment

After more information has now been added to the net, Korean War Project has a wealth of knowledge. I was able to find out from Father that Corporal, Sgt.
        Charles S. Feikert was in Co.E 2nd Battalion 23rd RCT 2nd Division, at Chipyon-Ni.

Later with Co.H and now looking through the general orders for his Decorations. I am now looking at where the two companies were in the war and trace their movements and operations.

The Korean War is now being recognized and research continues. And Thanks to sites like this, Wehrmacht Awards for providing a place for all to add their information. I in hindsight wish I would of gotten Chas to open up more about the war before he died. Now it is up to the few left to help with history of
        The Forgotten War.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X