help ID on this USMC uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help ID on this USMC uniform

hey Guys, Glenn here, my Father in law served in the USMC during the Korean war as a front liner. hes passed on now but my Wife was able to get his uniform. can you please tell me what type of uniform this is. im assuming its a "barracks" version and not a combat outfit but I really dont know. also would any insignia or medals/ribbons be put on theese. any info would be greratly appreciated. thanks, Glenn
    Attached Files

hat
    Attached Files

Comment

pants
      Attached Files

Comment

Post WWII service uniform. Not typically worn in the field, but not dress blues either!

I don't think the short jacket was authorized for OR's prior to the end of WWII. Look for date stamps in the sleeve linings, at the shoulder seams. The short jacket seems to have been less common than the four pocket.

Pants with rear pockets were not authorized for OR's before the end of WWII. Again, stamps should be on pockets / waistband inside. I think the correct belt would be khaki web with a brass frame type buckle.

A pair of darkened bronze un-fouled screw back EGA's (Eagle, Globe and Anchor) should be worn on the lapels, anchors pointing inward to the heart. Ribbon bars are worn above the wearer's left pocket.

The overseas cap should also have an EGA with the point facing forward.

I'm certain other forum members can elaborate on this info.

Alen

Comment

Excellent! Thanks for that info.

Comment

These came into service at the end of WWII, but were primarily issued post war, particularly during Korea and through the 50's. This was the USMC version of the 'Ike' jacket, referred to as the 'Vandegrift' jacket. This was a service uniform for wear in garrison. Inside the left sleeve, near the shoulder, should be marks with the date and, if he followed regs, his name will be stamped or written

As Alen stated, EGA devices would have been worn on the collars. These would have likely been clutchback with a glossy gunmetal finish, no ropes on the anchors, which were the principle emblem of the era. Ribbons and marksmanship badges would have been worn above the left breast pocket.

Comment

thanks for that info Brig. im in the middle of researching the various ribbons that he was issued. she got his service records. im going to get period worn ribbons to display on it. i think its gonna look pretty cool when done.

Comment

Brig, I must be missing something her, so please help me out. I know just enough about USMC uniforms to get myself into trouble.

The first photograph seems to show the thread reinforced holes in the lapels for the screw back EGA's. The one on the wearer's right is a little hard to see, but it is there. I thought clutch back EGA's were for dress or service uniforms made without these holes, such as certain summer shirt sleeve orders (1950's - 60's?) and privately tailored uniforms (typically for officers) made without thread reinforced holes.

Alen

Comment

The holes have been a constant feature since the early 1920's. The Marine Corps briefly switched to clutchback emblems in the 50s...late Model 1937s and, to a much less extent, Model 1956s were produced in clutchback. They were simply placed over the hole and pushed through...the pins were located on the crossbar and head of the anchor, well enough away that they didn't go through the hole in the collar beneath the Globe

They were very inconvenient on the thick collars of dress blues, and I suspect this is one of the reasons that the screwpost was readopted

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X