A Sailor's Ribbons

Attached Files
    RonR

Attached Files
    RonR

Comment

Nice looking ribbon rack!....mike

Comment

Rated as a deck gunner... I would be interested to see the Commendation Medal for Valor citation (s).

Comment

Why the star on the Natl Defense, this early on?

Tim

Comment

Sorry for the confusion guys.

The rating is not related to the ribbon bar.

I used it as a background to give it more depth.

I will be a bit more careful in the future to make a better choice.

Best regards,
            RonR

Comment

No worries Ron, I knew the two did not belong together. Looks more like an officer ribbon rack to me but still the star on the Natl Def is out of place.

Tim
              Attached Files

Comment

Must be "Officer's" since there isn't a Navy Good Conduct medal in the rack for the Enlisted. Solid red/burgundy color.

Comment

Originally posted by Edelweisse View Post
                  Must be "Officer's" since there isn't a Navy Good Conduct medal in the rack for the Enlisted. Solid red/burgundy color.

Might not be either way as the member was Naval Reserve for at least 10 years, hence the Naval Reserve Medal which was in use from 1938 to September 1958 when it was discontinued.

Still, both the Navy and Marine Corps are well known to be stingy on awards and I am very doubtful any enlisted member would have rated three Navy Commendation Medals (at least one for valor) over this time period. Then there is always the question of exactly when the attachments were added. We can see the star on the Natl Def is out of place and of more modern design than the stars on the Korean Service Medal. My thoughts anyway.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I like it , and I have no problem with the star on the NDSM-- to me it matches the stars on the KSM.

Remember-- regulations called for larger stars on valor awards than on service awards. That is why they are different sizes.

Comment

I disagree, go back and read post #7. No star was authorized for the Natl Def at this point in time.

As for the size differences, there is a BIG difference between a 3/16" and 5/16" star and valor awards are gold (silver for 5 or more) and never bronze.

Tim

Comment

Unbelievable!

Just spent nearly an hour drafting a detailed response breaking down each ribbon and qualification to make a point and then when I submit, this is what I get:

I was logged in already btw! Needless to say, hitting the back button does not save your draft. Thought we had this issue worked out by now?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tim B. View Post
                          No star was authorized for the Natl Def at this point in time.
                          When was it authorized?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Page View Post
                            When was it authorized?
                            I guess nobody bothered to look at the chart on post #7?

Comment

Good day,

Who says that to say that he was still not on active duty after 1961? In that case, he would be eligible for the star.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X